amanda1164
Newly Registered

Bell pepper plant problem

I have started my first little veggie garden and almost everything seems to be doing fine except for some tomato problems and this bell pepper plant that I have. I planted a Bonnie Bell and a Big bertha and the big bertha seems to be doing fine. the Bonnie bell I noticed something going on I thought maybe someone would have advice for. I have attached a picture of the plant.
bonniebell.jpg

applestar
Mod

Slugs or snails is a definite possibility based on the nibbled areas along the veins in the leaf to upper right of the pic.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Water heavy, and go out about a half hour after dark...if it's slugs, you find them...pick 'em off and squish them for now, then get some iron phosphate based slug killer....its organic, safe, and effective.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Diatomaceous earth sprinkled below the plant should do the job on slugs and snails.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

valley wrote:Diatomaceous earth sprinkled below the plant should do the job on slugs and snails.
If I recall correctly, that serves as a barrier. They're free to go on and find something else to chomp. Plus, you have to reapply frequently. I'd rather kill 'em outright...

Edit: I just went out and put down a little slug bait. Those suckers used to devastate my strawberries and cole crops...Never again...lol...

valley
Greener Thumb

My folks had a ranch, like an island, there were no slugs or snails. when I was little I went around gathering snails, brought them home and put them in a big pail of water. They all slid out and into the beautiful garden my parents took such care of. Mom told me of the problem she had getting rid of them but never got mad at me for having done that. God love her.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

valley wrote:My folks had a ranch, like an island, there were no slugs or snails. when I was little I went around gathering snails, brought them home and put them in a big pail of water. They all slid out and into the beautiful garden my parents took such care of. Mom told me of the problem she had getting rid of them but never got mad at me for having done that. God love her.
Even with my near constant slug patrol and regular use of the iron based baits, I still have a few around that do some damage. The seem to love carrot seedlings, radish seedlings, broccoli, and cabbage the best...

valley
Greener Thumb

Yesterday my daughter found a snail 1/10" in size, eating moss on a tree stump. Never knew there was such a thing here. It had a story book curl to its shell.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”