WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

My Homemade Trellis :)

So since we've decided to grow Runner Beans, Streamline variety, I am trying to utilize what space I have to my fullest potential. We had a huge cone of Jute Twine so I used a bunch of it and made my homemade trellis here today for our beans to grow up and climb on. I will be potting them and growing them in large pots on my front porch here as an experiment so I assume they will not grow to the 6 foot or higher potential they have since they won't be in ground grown. Our growing experiment for this year lol.
Attachments
DSCN4019.JPG
DSCN4019.JPG (53.83 KiB) Viewed 801 times

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Re: My Homemade Trellis :)

Yayyyyy!!! My Streamline Runner Beans, destined for these trellis's are starting to sprout! In time when they all get above the dirt and get their cotildons (ugh sp? lol) going and get nice and happy they're go outdoors. I can't wait! They're not the seeds from Mum from hubby's family in England but at least it's the same variety and that will do for now. Hubby is really excited, as am I, to see them growing up the trellis's out on the front porch!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

cotyledons are the seed leaves. What you will be waiting for is the true leaves.

Way to go with making good use of your space! :) It will turn your porch into a nice shady bower, also.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Thanks lol bit of dyslexia sometimes, thoughts translate to backwards thoughts when typed! :> But I am hoping it will help attract a few more hummers too and some butterflies :) Be nice for my photography in the least lol.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I can now clearly see seedlings coming up in all 11 pots now, am starting to get really excited lol. Hubby and I are really looking forward to seeing how they grow this year :P

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

My seedlings are going bonkers now. I've had them outdoors now for about a week and hubby and I are literally watching them grow. They are averaging about 1/2" a day we think. We haven't actually measured but we are watching a couple of the plants and watching the developing leaves and it appears they're growing very well and at that rate. I thinned some of them already but the rest are super healthy. I planted 4 seeds per pot, 11 total and most still have an average of 3 seedlings going oober healthy and a couple 4 still. I am loath to thin out healthy plants. I will add more dirt to the pots if they need it. They still have a bit of filling room to go. It's going to be vine training time here very soon! Even hubby is getting into "plant watching" lol. I would say I ended up with about a 93% germination rate on everything. I am very pleased with the Baker Creek Non GMO Heirloom Organics thus far!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

So here's an update on the Streamline's they're doing beautifully! They're peeking over the railing about 3" plus or so higher than the top of the iron railing now and took to the trellis great!
Attachments
DSCN4153.JPG
DSCN4153.JPG (69.5 KiB) Viewed 734 times

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Well it got down to 39 last night, in June, geesh! But as of yesterday we noticed flower buds and tiny spots of color on a few of them so they're starting to bud out now, am really excited. I was right though that since they're in pots they didn't get as big as they normally would as they would if they were in ground planted but hey it's an experiment and my front porch has a lovely green shade to it lol. They have started to reach for the top of the trellis in the photo's already too :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”