Gardener123
Green Thumb

Which do you enjoy more?

Do you prefer the actual gardening work, or the harvesting more?

I know that for me, my pleasure mostly comes from eating what I grow. I consider the actual work of gardening more like a necessary evil. The ends justify the means, LOL. :D

I just love the fact that what I grow tastes so much better than what I can buy in grocery stores, even when I buy organic. I can't wait for my Cherokee tomatoes and my hot peppers.

How about you?

estorms

I need to dig in dirt.

joed2323

What does it for me is watching something I planted from seed grow and turn into something that tastes great...
Especially sweet corn, watching the progress from seed to harvest is priceless

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I used to dislike the garden work, but now generally find it relaxing, though still hate weeding if the weeds get way ahead of me. A few years ago, we started cleaning the garden in the fall. Now, in the spring the beds are ready for planting with very little preparation. Just stand back and watch things grow. Also, we have worked very hard to develop an arrangement that minimizes weed and grass encroachment. That has helped enormously.

For me however, nothing compares to being able to walk to the garden at 6:30 p.m. and thirty minutes later being able to eat what we harvested. During the summer, lunch and evening meals consist of about 80% items from the garden, that is always quite special.

The other thing that I most enjoy about gardening are the evening walks, enjoying the yard, the garden, the wife, the pets, the wildlife, and a good glass of wine.

erins327

My favorite favorite thing to do is in the mornings, when I just wake up and get that cup of coffee, I go outside and sit and admire my garden. I might pick at weeds, harvest a snow pea or two, but my favorite is just to look at it and watch how the growing process gets bigger and bigger everyday.

My least favorite part is the digging, the compost mixing, etc. The hard labor. But I'm in luck because that seems to be my boyfriend's favorite part!

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Not sure, but I'm showing "baby pictures" at work. Babies of course being my little mater seedlings in solo cups...

Does that make me weird?

btrowe1

Gosh the whole thing, from start to finish, Getting and reading the catalogs, (getting more every year) tilling, raking, buying, starting, planting,growing nurturing,eating,Getting ,receiving, growing.starting,eating, nurturing, eating, planting, nurturing again,eating ,harvesting (it goes through all what was before. Then tilling again before we put it to bed for the winter..
I think gardening is a hobby, and I love it, I enjoy from start to finish and all the in between..

erins327

JayPoc wrote:Not sure, but I'm showing "baby pictures" at work. Babies of course being my little mater seedlings in solo cups...

Does that make me weird?

Not according to me!!!

I Facebook pictures of my 'babies' all the time! :lol:

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I love the growing I don't even like some of the stuff I plant but I just love producing things that others do like to eat! I give lots away to those that do like it. And my wife just loves the freash vegies!

imafan26
Mod

I like seeing what I can grow. I like to try planting different things just to see if I can grow it. I don't like weeding. I hate weed whacking too, so I go kinda permaculture and plant around the weeds.

I do harvest more now than before, but some things still become over mature in the garden because I don't always eat everything I grow. And sometimes I experiment with something and it turns out I really don't like to eat it.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

harvesting does wonderful things to my monkey-mind. especially picking fruit off trees. it's a kind of heaven.

I enjoy other parts of the process (watching the progression as things grow is pretty high up there), but the harvesting is where the real magic is for me.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It is all good but the weeding. I love the taste of Vegas that are ripe.

muddynurse
Newly Registered

erins327 wrote:My favorite favorite thing to do is in the mornings, when I just wake up and get that cup of coffee, I go outside and sit and admire my garden. I might pick at weeds, harvest a snow pea or two, but my favorite is just to look at it and watch how the growing process gets bigger and bigger everyday.

My least favorite part is the digging, the compost mixing, etc. The hard labor. But I'm in luck because that seems to be my boyfriend's favorite part!

We must be related!! :D

I love every part. planting, seed starting, transplanting, watering, EATING, and just sitting there looking at what I have accomplished. Its like a paradox. You nurture something from a seed, threw wind, drought, frost, heat, just to rip it off the plant and DEVOUR it!!!!!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Do you prefer the actual gardening work, or the harvesting more?
Haw! Harvesting is work too. I really enjoy the eating. ;)

If I HAD to do it, it would be drudgery. However, I do it of my own free will because I enjoy growing things. Its been a way of life since I was a toddler. Is it possible to enjoy working? I think so.

webmaster
Site Admin

I Facebook pictures of my 'babies' all the time!
Hey, are we connected via Facebook?
Helpful Gardener Facebook
;)

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Harvesting, presenting the trove in the kitchen, seeing the gather on the table and enjoying it all with the family is the greatest, yet to watch the sprouting, day by day growth and budding sure does fill my heart.

Sasha
Cool Member

I just like to watch things grow. It's like an emotional investment - just seeing the plants and garden come into their own is so rewarding. I love puttering in the garden too - my gardens have always been small, so the scale of work has never been overwhelming.

The food is almost secondary by the time it's ready!

Royiah

I love it all! Though if I had to pick one thing it would have to be seeing my plants grow and produce fruit. :D As my dad would say "I always know when your plants have fruited is when you have a giant grin on your face." :P I get way to excited every single time. :oops:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”