Watchrebel

Do we have any large scale gardeners in here? CSA etc?

I was just curious if we have any large farm gardeners here that participate and sell through the CSA program. Or has anyone ever bought shares or half shares in the CSA program and received weekly deliveries of fruit and veg?

Best,
Watchrebel

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I had a working half share in a CSA for about four years. I loved my CSA, but finally gave it up because the CSA farm was too far out of town and involved a lot of weekly driving. This year I have a membership in a new urban CSA. It is my first year and we haven't started receiving produce yet for the season.

But I think CSA's are a WONDERFUL idea and I heartily recommend them to anyone who wants to be eating locally grown organic food and doesn't have land/time enough to grow it all yourself.

This website

https://www.localharvest.org/

has a searchable data base so you can input your location and find a CSA (or farmer's market etc) near you. There are lots of them these days, but they generally aren't well publicized, so if you don't look for it, you won't know they are there.

The CSA I used to belong to grew 30 different veggies through the season. The half share we had was all the two of us could eat, plus some left over for freezing. The veggies were beautiful, fresh picked (often the day they were distributed to members). We could have had delivery, but it would have been significantly more expensive that way. We had a working share, which meant through the season we put in (total) 20 work hours, working in the fields under the direction of the farmer, which reduced the cost even more. For the working share we paid $250, up front, total for the season for all those veggies... Last year we didn't have a CSA and were just buying from farmer's market and were amazed how expensive everything was.

It is a win for everyone. We get the absolutely fresh organic local veggies for very little money. The CSA farm gets their money up front, guaranteed market, and doesn't have to spend their time sitting in a farmer's market and probably bringing a lot of stuff home unsold.

Watchrebel

Thank you for sharing. I was a little confused as the CSA farm nearest to me is vague concerning the number of deliveries. They say that the box is about 20-30 pounds. But their website never mentions how many deliveries you will get with the purchase of a share. Also my attempts at contact have gone unanswered. To me 20-30 pounds sounds like a lot and I would hate to pay so much money up front for one time delivery that leaves us with the issue of storing, the risk of produce spoiling etc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You need to get in touch with them and if they don't respond, then it sounds like they aren't organized enough. My CSA (the old one and the new one) gives out produce weekly through the season from sometime in May to late Oct. The amount varies by season, with small amounts of greens etc early and large bags of tomatoes, corn, peppers, etc in peak season. I doubt our half share would ever have been 30 pounds in a week, but maybe at least 15 in peak season (some of which is corn cobs, etc that end up discarded). As I said, it was more than two of us could eat much of the time, but I took that as a plus, meaning that I could can/freeze some and still have some local organic food in winter.

The old CSA it would have cost a lot more to have delivery and I'm not sure the new one does deliveries at all (but it is a lot closer to me).

But you need more info about yours. Do they have a website? I think most do these days. Each one is individual and I'm sure how things are done varies. I hope it works out for you. As I said, I think they are a great idea.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS... I can't imagine a CSA doing a one time delivery. If "the box" is a full share, it is possible you would be getting that amount every week in peak season. If so ask about half shares. You might even be able to arrange to share a half share with someone.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My son has a CSA going. He says that he would rather take a weekly payment than a big payment up front. Easier for the subscriber to come up with it, and also then he doesn't feel obligated if he should happen to stubb his toe. Knowing how agriculture depends on so many variables this is definitely a concern I think. He also says it is nice to have income each week rather than one big payment which is soon gone, then nothing. He needs gas each week for the truck. He did deliver a basket each week.

He is also happy to have people who want to share some labor in exchange for a part of the price.

No set amount in the weekly basket. Depends on what is available that week. The subscribers seemed happy with the total they got over the season though.

Son says he is not looking for any new subscribers this year, but will continue with those he had last season. He also sells at the local farmer's market.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”