imafan26
Mod

Re: Sweet Corn for 2013! Let the countdown begin . . .

Sounds good.

https://ipm.illinois.edu/vegetables/dise ... arts_wilt/

I also found out that it is an adaptable bicolor corn but best grown above the 40th parallel and days to maturity are about 75. Soil temperature must be above 55 degrees to germinate.
It is tolerant to Stewart's wilt and Northern and Southern blight.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll try that one then. I've 150 seed in my cart at the moment and will order once I get my other issues cleared up with my other suppliers.

imafan26
Mod

Unless you have a lot of space or a lot of money to spend, pare down your list. Some seeds like beans dill will keep 10 years, but most will keep 3-5 years under ideal conditions. Corn does not keep, germination drops off precipitously by the second year so make sure you will plant the corn the same year.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Yep I realize about the corn. The seed packs only came in packets of 75 or the next size up at 1,000 seed. So I just wanted to make sure I had enough but not far too much for my little plot. They didn't cost much and I'm getting refunds back for my other seed anyway. My list may seem like a lot but last year my list was probably 1.5 times that in what I was growing. I manage well enough. I have 4 large raised beds and a menagerie of bins I plant in. I grow on 2 acres of fields. My raised beds will be expanded to have more in with the rest of the landscaping eventually. When we do get them expanded in the future I can get rid of my standing bins I plant in as we expand. I've been growing in this zone now for 5 years :) I've moved a lot in my lifetime already and have grown in a number of growing zones already but I don't plan on moving again lol. I am semi retired so the garden and my home based small business keep me busy well enough. I work from home and during season I garden and work from home. Retired hubby is happy and we get a little extra income and food on the table from my efforts.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Since I started keeping my seeds in the freezer, the corn has given excellent germination for up,to 4 or 5 years. Keep the seeds in dry zip lock bags and freeze between uses.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I've never heard of freezing the seed like that for corn but then again this is my first corn growing year ;) We'll see how things go here. I'd love to have some nice plump ears to show for myself but who am I kidding? My gardens never really put out produce that are ever the standard growing size lol. Mine are always on the small end of the scale, but hey, if they taste good, they all go down the same hole :).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”