NewGardenerCanada

Veggie Pests! What should I do?

I started a vegetable garden indoors (tomatos, bell peppers, watermelons, zucchinnis, and jalapenos) and will be moving it to my outdoor deck in about a month (I don't have a front yard, just a really HOT, directly-in-the-sun deck). My concern is that there is a family of raccoons that live nearby as well as some extremely voracious city squirrels. As a test, I put one of my pepper plants outside on a sunny afternoon and within a few hours the planter was completely dug up and the seedlings were gone :(
I have two options (that I can think of):

1) I was looking at purchasing one of those pop up garden greenhouses (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Culti-Cave-Easy ... m_sbs_lp_3)

2) I can construct some sort of fenced in shelter

I'm worried that having my veggies inside a greenhouse might cause them to overheat and be scorched because our summers get very hot and humid (southern ontario) and deck temperatures can reach +40 mid-summer. Also, I'm not sure if the greenhouse will keep out a clever raccoon.

I'm in the city centre so even if I can trap and relocate the raccoon family, they will quickly be replaced with another one :S

Any ideas are appreciated!!

applestar
Mod

Re: Veggie Pests! What should I do?

It sounds to me like caging your growing area/garden is your only option.
We're discussing some fencing options in this thread that might give you some ideas
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 8&p=295665

Oh, here's the other thread I was thinking of:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 15&t=47287
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

NewGardenerCanada

Interesting... Maybe I will try to construct something with deer netting and stakes and somehow have part of it that can open as an entrance so I can get to the vegetables. Not as pleasing to the eye but after reading everyone's horror stories about losing their entire crops, I don't think I have a choice!!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If I had to garden in an animal proof enclosure, would build one similar to my chicken run. It is 6.5 feet tall with a area of 10 feet by 24 feet and is covered on all sides, including a 2 foot skirt of wire flat on the ground along the outside. Using six foot wire, thereby avoiding the middle boards, cost should be around $325 or less, especially if able to integrate some re-used materials.

Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”