jackal_man

Growing a Pumpkin indoors?

well... although it may seem to sound a bit crazy... which it is. I have wondered if it would be possible to grow a pumpkin plant just in the house, my bedroom at that.

I have thought of a few things that might happen though if I did actually grow just one plant in the house

Mold or mildew caused by the soil being wet on top for too long, which has happened before when growing plants to be moved outdoors. It slowly started to kill some plants actually >.>

Lighting would be another issue, currently I can only see it getting fluorescent light since the window blind is usually closed plus very little light comes through the window during the day in the first place.

Forgetfulness would be the next thing, I have forgotten to water cacti where they have died on me :oops:

Any suggestions on how I could go around doing this would be helpful or even telling me of more problems that could happen when/if I attempted to do such a thing.

And if it is possible how does Atlantic Giant Pumpkins for growing sound? :lol:

Geek

Wow you are looking at vines that can be 30 feet long and can have huge leaves. You better get your Tarzan outfit on and start learning to swing from vines. :D

Skip
Newly Registered

You will need to hand pollinate the female flowers too, unless you want to bring a bee hive into your bedroom as well. Of course, they would need to have access to the outside world, either thru a window or roof access.

mojothemenace
Newly Registered

I wonder if anyone can help as I am a total garden amateur!

I had a houseplant and when I started feeding it in the summer new sprouts began to grow out of the pot. To start with I thought it was part of the same plant but as time went by it became increasingly apparent that it was not a houseplant!
It started to flower and now I'm fairly sure it is a pumpkin (maybe an errant halloween seed?!)

The leaves are huge and it has heaps of flowers which I now realise I will have to pollinate myself if I want a pumpkin as it is indoors?

I also think it's obviusly gonna have to be repotted as it is sharing a tiny pot with another climber?!

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH ADVICE - I HAVE NO IDEA WOT TO DO!?
THANKS IN ADVANCE! - live in scotland so I'm not usre putting it outside is gonna be possible lol

edit: ok I don't think I have any female buds yet - I have read about hand pollinating lol

any ideas about re-potting as I've heard they don't like it? and whats the chances of getting it to grow in a grow bag on my pretty warm windowsill?
thanks again guys

wiiner
Newly Registered

I am growing pumpkin on my bedrooms widow.
I planted it march, I think it was somewhere between 10th and 20th. It grows in 0,5 x 0,3 x 0,3 box filled with ordinary mineral rich houseplant soil. I water it about 3 times a week (once a week with fertilizer).
Now the plant is quite big (about 3 m in length), and has its first male flowers.

Here is a picture of my plant:
https://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p5149578oe1.jpg

any ideas about re-potting as I've heard they don't like it? and whats the chances of getting it to grow in a grow bag on my pretty warm windowsill?
Pumpkins have very long roots and if grows in a same pot with other plant, then re-potting will damage the roots. don't re -pot it unles you don't want to re-pot it together with the other plant!

wurzelgummidge

jackal_man wrote:well... although it may seem to sound a bit crazy... which it is. I have wondered if it would be possible to grow a pumpkin plant just in the house, my bedroom at that.

I have thought of a few things that might happen though if I did actually grow just one plant in the house

Mold or mildew caused by the soil being wet on top for too long, which has happened before when growing plants to be moved outdoors. It slowly started to kill some plants actually >.>

Lighting would be another issue, currently I can only see it getting fluorescent light since the window blind is usually closed plus very little light comes through the window during the day in the first place.

Forgetfulness would be the next thing, I have forgotten to water cacti where they have died on me :oops:

Any suggestions on how I could go around doing this would be helpful or even telling me of more problems that could happen when/if I attempted to do such a thing.

And if it is possible how does Atlantic Giant Pumpkins for growing sound? :lol:
if you have low light for growing indoors try a agricultural light that mimicks sunlight.

Kylean
Newly Registered

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy person growing pumpkins indoors ha ha!
anyways I started growing my plant in October and the vines started wrapping themselfs around other plants when I tried to seperate them I broke off over a foot of the vine! :(

I put the broken vine in water with flower fertilizer will it root?[/b]

Hydroponics
Cool Member

I'll have to upload pictures from the huge green pumpkin plant I had outdoors. I can't imagine trying to manage one indoors. That are so big and bulky. If you could just produce one, I would consider that a triumph.

I wouldn't do it though.

applestar
Mod

I was wondering why I didn't recognize any of the members then realized this thread was originally started in 2007! I guess this is one of those interesting experiences that budding Gardeners go through once. :wink:

A pumpkin plant, as several have already commented, involves multiple degrees of difficulty -- it's not even all that easy to grow outside unless Mother Nature is doing most of the work favorably. I AM reminded of gixxerific's linked video of Disney Epcot exhibit of indoor hydroponic vegs including pumpkins.

I think most of us have had at least one monster vining plant take over our living space. :lol:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

hahahaha....That sure is a pumpkin indoors. lol.

To anyone attempting this, you may consider more pots of soil to be available wherever you get a female flower. The vines like to sprout roots at each fruit. If you start to get a baby pumpkin, bury the vine at the closest node. It will make new roots and provide more nutrients for the fruit itself.

It doesn't matter what type you try in the house, they will all be about the same size. Atlantic giants won't truly be one of those giant pumpkins. You have to have VERY deep soil for those to be that big and lots of other special conditions.

I love vines in the house but never thought about trying a frappin pumpkin. lol What's next sweet potatoes?

csvd87

I have a squash growing in my mudroom... I think I need to toss it though, as I need the space for baby peppers. I have been trying to hand pollinate it, but it won't take, it is also very rare to get a male and female open at the same time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”