Gardener123
Green Thumb

Lost some plants last night....

I decided to move just a few plants to my raised beds last night, and today I think they are gone beyond hope of coming back. I could have kept them in my greenhouse, but I was anxious..... but the thing is, I didn't "lose" them to cold / frost.... I lost them to a POUNDING RAIN. I mean this rain pummeled these plants probably to death. Fortunately 2 of them were bean plants and I can replant and they will be growing again in a few days. But I lost a ciliantro plant, which I don't have any extra seeds. Looks like a trip to Home Depot for a Bonnie plant.
Living the good life with my wife and 2 wonderful daughters!

applestar
Mod

Re: Lost some plants last night....

Yeah, that system that came through last night was pretty fierce. My celery and some of the tomato seedlings were looking somewhat flattened even though they were in a protected location. Celery will just have to sit back up, but the tomatoes needed to be straightened out. :(

But, seedlings need to be hardened off when coming out of cozy greenhouse environment too.

Do you have cilantro seeds or a jar of coriander in your cupboard?
We seem to be back to cooler temps and the self seeded cilantro are just starting to grow with only their seed leaves in my garden.

I also have a bunch that overwintered unprotected. They were hugging the ground with bronzed leaves last month. Those are growing some nice upright new leaves now and I think I will harvest them in the next week while temps remain cool and they are staying in a rosette/unbolted.

In not thinking about sowing beans until May.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
In not thinking about sowing beans until May.

I wouldn't plant them outside yet, but I have so many seeds and they grow so fast....

The cilantro was something someone gave me as a tiny start.....

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

a soil / probe thermometer is not an expensive gadget - you stick it in about a inch and it'll tell you if the soil's in the 50's/60's/70's

for many crops, germination is very dependent on temp - in or out of the greenhouse. too cold and it the seed rots before it can germinate.

here's one - your local hardware store likely has similar on the shelf

https://www.amazon.com/Chaney-Soil-Therm ... B000FDBBG4

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Dillbert wrote:a soil / probe thermometer is not an expensive gadget - you stick it in about a inch and it'll tell you if the soil's in the 50's/60's/70's

for many crops, germination is very dependent on temp - in or out of the greenhouse. too cold and it the seed rots before it can germinate.

here's one - your local hardware store likely has similar on the shelf

https://www.amazon.com/Chaney-Soil-Therm ... B000FDBBG4
I know... but this wasn't the issue.... the pounding rain was the issue

RogueRose
Green Thumb

That storm that came through was a doozy! I think my seedlings survived okay though...are you sure yours are gone? Things that are in the "seedling" stage for me that are in various stages of popping up:

lettuces (various)
arugula
thyme
catnip
basil (various)
beets
carrots
peas

When I water or when Mother Nature waters, the lettuces sometimes look a bit weak and "crumpled" but they quickly pop right back up - usually within a few hours.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I know the feeling. In the fall I had a ton of lettuce that just came up and then we had a lot of rain and killed them all.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”