Daffodil3263

ways to protect corn from possible freeze

Hi I live in oklahoma and have planted my corn, the seedling are about 2 to 3 inches tall, and we are expecting a low around 32 or 33, what can I do to protect them from freezing the best cover and so on

joed2323

believe it or not, I live in upper michigan and last year we got pretty close to freezing or at freezing temps, and I just hoped for the best. The next morning my corn made it thru and I had one heck of a harvest last year...

Imop 2-3 inches isnt too far along, you could always replant if the unthinkable happens but I honestly think you will be ok with your corn, you really have to have a good hard freeze to kill em... from my short growing experiences I might add.

What variety of corn are you growing this year? and how big is your plot, is it too big to cover?? If not you could always drape anything over top of them, but you will need to make sure you have blocks or something to keep the cover propped up over the corn stalk or you may kill it that way...

I would just roll the dice I think you will be fine

Daffodil3263

My son made a mini greehouse with things we found in the yard and it kept the corn safe, thankfully :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good. Probably best to protect it if you can.

My corn planting area is too large to even think about covers. I plant and it is on its own. Seldom lose any even if we do get a freeze.

Corn is a monocot, meaning it sends up new growth from the center. It can have the leaves freeze, yet still send up growth and do fine. It takes a really cold freeze to kill it. Not saying it can't be killed, but I have many times seen the leaves freeze and it just sends out new ones and keeps on growing.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”