cruella1
Newly Registered

frozen bean seeds

Hi everyone I have a quick question ...I have some bean seeds that were given to me, by a relative, for the purpose of eating. I put them into the freezer last fall not to get them mixed up with my other ones. Now I would like to know if I could use these same bean seeds for planting. The relative that would give me new seeds has moved away and therefore I have no fresh seeds for planting. Would these frozen bean seeds germinate and grow?

canuck

I an by far not an expert at this gardening thing but I store my unused seeds in the freezer and use them year after year so I don't see why you couldn't use them as long as they weren't blanched before you froze them.
If I am wrong about this hopefully someone would let you know. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try though.
good luck

cruella1
Newly Registered

I do hope that your're right...for this is all I've got. Do you freeze your flower seeds and then use them for replanting in the spring? I think that maybe I should soak them in water first. I have this terrible vision of them just turning to mush in the soil once they thaw out.

canuck

I don't know about soaking them in water first. I have never grown beans before--can't stand them. I soak my peas overnight so I would think that you could soak them. Once again it doesn't hurt to try.
I do keep flower seeds in the freezer as well and they all seem to germinate fine.
Keep me posted on how you make out.

pixelphoto

technically you don't ever want to freeze seeds for saving to plant next year. You just want them really cold like 40 degrees F or so.
You could try it. Actual freezing could damage them.
Now that I have said this everyone who has ever froze a seed is going to post and say they have never had a problem so......That said technically you are not supposed to freeze them. Plant em and give em a try you should be ok for one season as long as freezer burn didnt get to them.
good luck

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”