SmokeyGnome

Its finally coming together!!!

I still have a long way to go but my new garden is officially underway! this is my second garden and after being successful last year I'm going a little bigger. There has been light snow and pretty cold nights lately so I have been hesitant to plant anything. but its beginning to warm up. here is what I have accomplished so far.

built a new garden bed for a bigger better garden. got that sucker in the ground and filled it with top soil, manure, peat moss, mushroom compost, and a humus manure mix. unfortunately I couldn't afford all the goodies I wanted due to a tight budget and poor foresight. I neglected to take into account the amount I would need to fill this thing. the dirt is a little shallow, I have about 4-5 inches or so from the dirt to the top of the bed. but I figure if I plant further from the edges it shouldnt be a problem. next year ill top it off with lots of good stuff.

so far I have only planted to mater plants. and measured out where to plant the rest. I'm going for 14 or 16 plants(still deciding on what exactly) maybe less, I'm afraid I might be a little to ambitious. I'm going for a square foot garden this year. last year I kind of just dove in head first without a plan. so I'm hoping I can handle a larger garden especially with a new work schedule that leaves me less time to play in the garden.

heres some pics of what I have so far.

estorms

If those are tomato plants, I would put three in a bed that size.

SmokeyGnome

yes I plan on planting 3 tomato plants and basil right next to them as I have read that basil planted near tomatoes is good for them, and fresh basil is always nice to have. I only planted those to as sort of a trial run since they are calling for snow this weekend. I would hate to plant everything and end up frosting over.

does anyone have some helpful advice for a newbie gardener. I'm not totally sure what to plant. I know for sure I want to do tomatoes and cucumbers. last year I did green peppers witch did not fruit very well. hot banana peppers and canned them(they came out fantastic!!!). I'm thinking strawberries in a separate container. maybe broccoli and cauliflower. I need to go spend a few hours in a gardening center somewhere

another thought, how should I plant everything. I was thinking doing it according to height. if you look at the pics I posted the garden bed gets most of its light from the left side since the house is closer to the right. so I planted the tomatoes on that side so they can get full advantage and then plant the lower growing plants to the left of them. does this sound like a good idea? is there anything that should not be put together???

SmokeyGnome

on another note I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on these forums. everything that I haven't learned from my mom witch no offense to her isn't all that much mostly because she really only grew tomatoes and I just plain didnt pay attention :-() I learned from browsing these forums.

I spent a lot of time on here last year. and I'm sure even more time this summer. thank you all for taking the time to answer questions and helping newbies like me who really could use the extra help. I hope all who stop by and take a look at my posts will be as honest and helpful as they have with others. please critique my garden be brutal if you feel the need. constructive criticism is very welcomed, needed even and I appreciate every bit I can get. thank you all again for any past, present or future help and advice. I look forward to enjoying all the fresh veggies this year and I will think of all of you after every bite!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”