chubwolf

can anyone identify this plant?

Hi everyone.
I built my beds, added my soil and fertilizer and seeds. a few things have started to come through, but some containers seemed quite barren, now a couple of little shoots are poking through. I don't know if they are weeds or seeds. any idea? I planted hot peppers, several types of tomato and some bell peppers. unfortunately for me, I forgot to label the pots. But I think I should be expecting peppers in the pot in the picture.

Thank you
Attachments
plant.jpg
plant.jpg (49.8 KiB) Viewed 689 times

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

looks like lambsquarters, or a close relative (you didn't plant quinoa, did you?)...most likely a weed, but a good, edible one in my book.

applestar
Mod

Looks like lamb's quarters.

It is considered a weed, but if this IS lambs quarter's (be sure of the ID) it's one of the edible ones and are sometimes intentionally cultivated and there are cultivated varieties as well as the wild ones.

Nutritious. Nutty flavor great in salad when young and tasty as cooked greens with stems removed when older.

Edit: ah! Potatoes got a post in ahead of me! :wink:

chubwolf

Thank you. I'm now a bit disappointed,but at least It shows I don't kill everything. I can grow edible weeds.

btrowe1

:-() :-()

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Definately a common weed in my garden... Didnt know it was edible. I will try them this year when they start invading my garden!! Thanks

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I've said this before, but lambquarters is probably my favorite summer cooking green. I go for that before anything I planted (kale, chard, etc)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”