hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

What spring/summer crops are you harvesting?

A couple of days ago I pulled the last of the overwintered arugula. Today, we harvested the first spring batch of salad greens of mostly arugula but also a bit of lettuce. In the next week of so, we should have all the salad greens that we want, including some spinach in the mix. I've got lots more bed space devoted to these crops this year.

Also, my first radish is ready to harvest, but I'm giving it another day or two to get some extra size. The bed is also probably about a week away from providing a steady harvest.

Sweet peas are up and good sized but no blooms yet.

Spring onions are now large enough to harvest. Also, will be pulling immature garlic to take care of garlic needs until harvest of mature bulbs in mid June.

Cucumbers and squash are probably still two or three weeks from harvest.

This is zone 7/8 but weather seems to settled nicely, with not much prospect for a late frost. Long range forecast has nothing lower than about 48 degrees going out to the 24th of April which is beyond the usual last frost date.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Not....one....thing.

Were zone 6b by zipcode but definitely 6a because elevation (was 6a under the previous map anyway). This March was just brutal. The coldest month of the winter actually. Can't get much planted when nightime lows repeatedly dipped into the teens. Last year, March was more like May and I was harvesting TONS of stuff by this point. I actually only recently got the bulk of my "early" stuff in. Peas are finally coming up but tiny. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, and cabbages are growing nicely but still a long way off. I started some lettuce from store bought starts, but they don't seem to be taking off just yet. I have some Kale and Collards that overwintered and have tripled in size in the last couple of weeks...but still not quite ready to harvest.

In the past week though, I've gotten a bunch more stuff going. More lettuce, carrots, onions (seeds and sets), and a bunch of different herbs. I've also prepped, weed barrier-ed, and mulched my tomato bed, and expanded the bed where I will plant my corn. Earlier this year I built a new 8 ft. x 4 ft. bed (where the cabbages and sprouts live).

Oh....and I've been herding my little 'mater and pepper plants to sunny spots and back inside each day the last half week or so. Actually, I have them out in sketchy weather today. Its only in the low 50s and raining, but I figure the overcast is a good way to keep going with the hardening process. Our 90% last frost date is sometime in the first week of May, but if the 10 day forecast looks good this weekend. I'll stick them in the ground at that point. Yesterday there was a community plant exchange at the local library where I was able to give away my extra mater and pepper starts. I picked up some mint, lemon balm, and chives.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nothing yet. Different conditions here. 39 degrees this morning and a few snow flakes falling. I don't think it will amount to anything, but certainly not growing weather yet.

I did plant the onions and a row of spinach a while back. The spinach came up but hasn't grown. The onions are doing nothing yet. We need some warmer weather.

Looking for May!

Here you are harvesting and we haven't even planted most things yet. May 5 is my target date to plant corn each year. Squash and melons about the same time. Usually we can plant the early crops mid April, but this season has been cold and wet. This storm that is slowly moving through may last another day. Perhaps by week end we can plant some early things?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My plants are moving along. Pampered tomato plants started very early in January and nursed through the winter are covered with blooms, have a few tomatoes, and are about two feet tall. First few blossoms are on the squash and egg plants. First beans broke the ground today. Picked my second batch of mixed salad green this evening, served with home made pizza.

Temperatures have steadily been in the 70's and 80's during the day and 40's or 50's at night with a few nights in the 60's. I'm afraid that any day we are likely to break out into full fledged summer time temperatures.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I am only eating blueberries and strawberries now. This weekend I am going to build a bunch of self watering containers and plant all the summer stuff. I have one tomato out now under a bubble wrap tent so it stays warmer and grows faster. I am sure glad I had it on because when I woke up this morning it was 38!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

When do you start all your warm weather stuff Hendi_Alex? I got mostly everything out now. Only thing I have not started is cukes, melons and squash. I am getting antsy and may start them this weekend. I am pulling some Kale leaves in daily, few volunteer carrots here and there when I need them. I got a fennel plant that needs to be harvested, and some bush beans that are getting there.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've planted most everything in the ground now, but tomato plants are still in containers. Will start putting them in the ground today. Our usual frost free date is around April 20th, but the weather has been very settled for a couple of weeks now, and I started putting tender plants in the ground around April 10th.

Most everything should start to produce earlier than it did last year. All except my tomatoes that is, as my plants were started about a month later than last year's plants, and they have had less time outside as January and much of February were far cooler than last year. Last year's plants were loaded with good sized tomatoes by this time. Am looking for my first ripe tomato in the 2nd or third week of May.

Meatburner

This weather is crazy. Well it usually is in the spring I guess. Over the weekend we harvested a good bunch of lettuce mix and about a dozen dwarf bok choy. Man were these good. Now tonight, I covered my low tunnel as the temp is supposed to be around 30. Hope everything survives. Hope this is the last frost of the spring.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”