joed2323

indoor light cycle?

Ok ive read peppers like atleast 16+ hours of light a day indoors, ive actually seen it online where a guy did a test and kept lights on 24 hours a day in one section and in a different room he kept them on for 16 hours a day.
The ones that stayed on for 24 hours got remarkably bigger... Some say they need night time and can get stressed, but from his test and pictures they did not get stressed they looked healthier on the 24/cycle

I have tomato and pepper seedlings under my lights as of now, what would be the best light cycle to go with?? I was thinking atleast 16 hours on, or should I go more? I think tomatoes like a break from the light correct?

If it matters, my light setup is nothing more then 2 4 foot fluro shop lights with the 6500k bulbs

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Different people may get different results. I have a whole variety of seedlings under my 4' long light tubes, so I can't do different cycles for different plants. Everything is on 16 hrs on, 8 off cycle. I have tried 24/7 on and for me it seems that at least some things do get stressed that way. There are different energy processes that go on in plants in the dark than in the light, so it makes sense to me that they need some dark time.

joed2323

I kinda believe they should see dark time too. Do you think I will gain much by running 18 on and 6 off?

joed2323

I kinda believe they should see dark time too. Do you think I will gain much by running 18 on and 6 off?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Plants need a down time. They rest when dark and the only process going on than is respiration.

But I do not see what 18 would do over 16. In my eyes 16 is too much, yet that is what my timers are set on. :mrgreen: Indoor lighting can NEVER come close to touching the power of true sunlight.

Don't push the light, dark is good too.

joed2323

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate the help.
I will keep them on for 16/8

Sasha
Cool Member

They might grow faster, but 24 h light could inhibit flowering in at least some species.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”