usmcdon
Newly Registered

puney bell pepper plants , no roots to speak of

I started my ozark giant , california wonder and some eggplant from seeds on Feburary 8th. They came up to about 1 1/2" and stopped growing . Have them out in the sun room that gets about 6 hours sunlight. Temperature ranges from 80 deg at day to arounnd 50-60 at night.
I looked at them today and they have Noroot system to speak of . I'm so frustrated with them that I feel like going to the garden store and buying plants to put in the ground.
I live in zone 7B central Oklahoma. The weahter here is about 75 deg. at daytime and 55 to 65 at night..

Anyone have any thoughts on what happened?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Peppers grown from seed need about 16 hours per day of light. Almost always from artificial lighting. They also need some fairly high temperatures to germinate and grow. Most set heat mats on between 80 and 85 degrees and after germination tone the heat down to 75-80 degrees F.

Peppers germinate in the dark after 5 to 10 days and then require the light. My sense tells me not nearly enough heat or light to get good viable plants. Right now the garden store will be your best bet and do it differently next year.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

let me add that I love do-it-yerself gardening and love starting my own seeds. But peppers can be tricky for those of us living in cooler climates. Last year I bought pepper plants from Lowes and had BY FAR the best success I've ever had with peppers. I got DOZENS of grocery store sized bell peppers from just 2 plants. I never got anywhere close to the quantity or quality with plants I started myself...

Fork over the $1.74/4 pack for some well start pepper plants...again, IMHO....

applestar
Mod

If they are pale, thin and spindly and weak, laying down, then it probably is the insufficient light as mentioned.

The fact that they STOPPED growing could mean that they were started in sterile seed starting mix with no fertilizer and ran out of nutrients without being fertilized.

If they have no roots, it could be that it was too cool because eggplants and pepper DO like warm soil temp for good root growth, but if they germinated, then I think there should be sufficient warmth. It's possible they were kept too wet and the roots never developed or rotted.

With plenty of light, somewhat cooler air temp -- especially with fluctuating daytime/nighttime temps but with a heat source keeping the roots warm, they grow thick and sturdy with spreading leaves.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Unless you used Miracle Grow potting soil your plants are probably starving to death. Most potting soil has almost no food value for plants you need to feed the plants with fertilizer. Miracle Grow potting soil has 3 months worth of fertilizer in it. I buy 15/15/15 fertilizer in 50 lb bag throw a hand full in a 5 gallon bucket then fill it with water. Then I water the plants with this. Miracle Grow plant food is over priced but it works great.

If your plants are tall and thin they are starving for REAL Sun Light.

imafan26
Mod

I do tend to agree that lack of light would make them more spindly, but lack of food and a compost based potting mix may retard growth. Peppers, like tomatoes prefer things a bit on the acidic side. I would use the fish emulsion if you are going organic, or miracle grow for acid loving plants. It has a higher nitrogen and is an acidifying fertilizer a couple of times and then use a maintenance fertilizer of your choice.

applestar
Mod

FWIW since I have them, here is a photo of some peppers and eggplants.
These aren't even well cared for since they are part of my "dense planting seed starting method" experiment -- way overcrowded. But they HAVE been getting sufficient light and warmth (initially approx 80-90°F then down to 75-85°F daytime, 65-75°F night time).

They were started in a mixture of Dr. Earth pot of gold (orange bag) organic potting mix, shredded coir, sand, and pumice gravel, and have been getting dilute actively aerated Dr. Earth 4-4-4 All Purpose organic fertilizer tea every three days or so since they grew their true leaves.

usmcdon
Newly Registered

Thanks for the thourough and quick reply , guys. So, I guess , it's off to the farm & ranch store for me tomorrow. That means after church I'll have to drive 45 miles to Shawnee and it will cost me lunch out with the wife. Oh, well. I can't think of anyone I'd rather be with.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice comment about the wife, usmcdon :)

You've gotten good responses about what probably happened to your peppers: not enough light, heat, nutrients, and maybe roots rotting out from staying too cool and damp. Try again next year.

Some time I will have to get my computer situation back together so I can post pictures again. My california wonder bells are about a foot tall and close to that wide and are blooming! They are beautiful! Started under the lights, but most of them are now going in and out hardening off. All the warm weather stuff came back in last night as temps went back down into the 30's.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”