JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I think I discovered an easy, instant, and cheap coldframe

When digging around Lowes for stuff for another project, I saw this product and a light went off. Its completely clear and flexible enough to bend into a long low tunnel. It would seem to be the perfect material for a coldframe or mini "hoop house" type of enclosure. Looks like it would transmit light, hold heat well, and keep the deer off of my fall/winter greens. Its an instant, 8 foot long greenhouse for 14 bucks. Why wouldn't this work perfectly? Am I missing something?

Check it out: https://www.lowes.com/pd_13113-1115-1318 ... facetInfo=

veggiedan
Cool Member

You don't give any dimensions, but with 16 square feet, and 8 feet long (from the Lowes description), that would mean that it's 2 feet wide. If it's a half-circle in profile, that would be a foot high in the middle. But I suspect it's not, so it wouldn't even be that high in the middle. So I guess it would work in principle for seedlings in a long row, but it's pretty low to the ground.

Also, not sure how well it would hold heat. It won't let the cold wind in, but there probably isn't as much insulation as you'd get from plate glass in a real greenhouse.

I *says* "clear" in the title, but the description reads "Translucent panel provides a soft, filtered light", which doesn't quite sound "clear". The image on the Lowes site doesn't look very clear.

But it is UV rated, and designed for exterior use, so I'd guess it would last a long time outside.

That all being said, I really like the idea of using things for what they were never intended to be used for!

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

The one in the store was crystal clear...but I do wonder of the corrugations would scatter light in a weird way. Actually, the stuff is flexible enough to easily be a foot high in the middle. Looks to be plenty high for lettuce, etc. And if it keeps the frost and the deer off, thats a win in my book....oh, and its listed as 26 inches wide...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”