KeriFord

Well on my way for this season!

So excited for this season. My grandparents moved and I scored their 24’x12’ greenhouse! I have it put up and two long lasagna beds going. I fear I already messed up though. I put hay in, thinking it was a brown. Just read here it was a green. Eep! It’s only in as 1 layer on each bed and I have a ton of dead leaves, so I hope that evens it out a little. They’ve been hanging out for over a week and it just smells like earth in there. Taking it as a good sign.

Grandparents also had a raised bed in their greenhouse. I have two 5gal. buckets and every time I go to town, I fill them up and dump the dirt on top of my beds. Hope that’s not wrecking my beds. Lots of trial/error happening, I think! Best part—no more pests to tear up my garden just when it gets started with all the good stuff!!
I used the freezer bag/on the freezer method to sprout seeds (love this so much). I have a ton of corn sprouted and in cups of dirt (a couple have tiny green stalks through the dirt already). Tomatoes are sprouted and planted. A few first leaves showing there.

Potatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumbers, and peppers are all sprouted and dirted in cups.

I have a handful of other things sprouting now. I put beans in the bags to sprout…but I'm not sure if they’re sprouting or if they’re just cooking really, really, really slowly. I’ll give them a couple more days and toss those and just plant the beans if they don't do anything.

I'm also trying some hay bale planting. I put some outside in the fall (this is the same hay I used in my beds) to start breaking down. I sprinkled in a few cool winter crops to see how that works out. I have a couple onions poking out and the stems look good there.

It’s supposed to be sunny and mid-70s over the next few days (compared to nearly nonstop rain of the last few days!). I’ll try to get my mess from putting the greenhouse together cleaned up and get some pictures.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Looking good. Have fun.

KeriFord

finally remembered to grab a picture today :) Seedlings are growing against the far wall. everything is starting to come up now. the corn is looking really, really well.

still need to build my third bed, but I'm waiting on more grass to grow. we got a good raining last week and this week is high 70s. should be ready to do that last one soon!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Looks great!

rkunsaw

Looking good. I have everything planted except corn, okra and sweet potatoes which need warmer weather. I have sweet potatoes well rooted and ready. Corn and okra I will plant the seeds directly in the garden.

KeriFord

I've looked for sweet potatoes all over town. can't find them. if I want to try them, I'm doomed to ordering or attempting luck with one from the grocery store.

I did luck out on some peanuts though. Husband will be pleased if I can get those to grow.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I see what you have been doing in there NAPING !! I saw the cot in the corner! LOL

KeriFord

Ohio Tiller wrote:I see what you have been doing in there NAPING !! I saw the cot in the corner! LOL

haha! WAY too hot in there to nap. I do lay down and enjoy the quiet. 8) it's too hot that Son and Husband won't tolerate it. And I get a suntan through the plastic. and a more intense sauna session than the sauna at the gym. it's a sunny 65* outside and a toasty, humid 85 or more inside. I have to get a thermostat before it gets really hot.

Only a few more weeks (six, maybe at the most) to lock myself inside. We'll be reaching steady temps of low 90s and I'll have to raise the back to let air in.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

And I get a suntan through the plastic. and a more intense sauna session than the sauna at the gym. it's a sunny 65* outside and a toasty, humid 85 or more inside.
Wow! I want some of that. Its 30° F here this morning and breezy. Its been so darned cold here the onions won't even grow. Enjoy!

KeriFord

jal_ut wrote: Wow! I want some of that. Its 30° F here this morning and breezy. Its been so darned cold here the onions won't even grow. Enjoy!
brr! hoping it warms up for you soon.

and no worries, I absolutely am enjoying it! get exposed to the sun now, maybe I won't be fried to a red crisp this summer if I forget my sunblock one time.

KeriFord

Wow. I didn't realize how much my garden has grown and changed over the last few weeks!

several changes. the wood was bringing in a lot of red ants. pulled that out in a hurry! I didn't even think there. Grandpa said take whatever I wanted from under his shed, so I loaded up on a lot of bricks and lucked on some tile! The tile is...yeah, I should have measured and leveled and all that business to be a little straighter. my mathy, perfection hubby made THAT FACE. yall probably know the one. most of you are probably doing it now. LOL but it's holding well and that's all I care about. I need to go around the tops of the tile with another strand of rope to keep it pulled in tight. I may have to get some spikes to drive in the ground in front of a couple to keep them standing. The back end of it has strawberries, so I filled it on up to the top since they won't be coming out at the end of the season (unless I kill them first). The front end I'll finish off this fall and throw in leaves/grass and whatever else I find.

Corn is still doing well.
the potatoes--they are just shooting. I'm worried they're not going to do well in the ground there. I need to try to poke under them to loosen up below the bed? Potatoes did HORRIBLE last year, so I didn't put a lot of hope in them. The BAM. they're going.

I seem to be on a mission to kill the strawberries. one day they look good, next half look dead. then more dead looking, then something sprouts back to life. I think I waited too long to get them in the ground. Now they're there, I hope they perk a little. I fed them some 10-10-10 that dropped a couple pcs down in their composting pot. a couple really came back to life after that, so I'm crossing fingers.

Beans look well, but they need in the ground badly. will try to wrangle my husband in there to get the last of the fences up today. if I plant before the fences, we'll tear them up. it'll be extra fun working around my corn, but roots were sprouting out my cups. I had no choice there.

waiting on fencing for the bed to the right as well for the rest of the tomatoes and peppers you see sitting around.

applestar
Mod

Wow what an amazing transformation from the earlier pic. You HAVE been working hard. :D And they really do grow a lot from week to week, don't they?

Good luck and enjoy! Hope everything grows well for you. :()

KeriFord

Thanks Applestar! Things are really taking off and everything but 2 pepper plants I started from seeds. a first time for me! I didn't think to grab a pick of the whole room, but some updates--

corn and sunflowers. about 1/2 of them are around 4' high. several has corn growing

The head of one of those sunflowers. I hope to see a flower at the top soon!

Cukes. these are just taking off. I've never had them do so well! hard to see through all the leaves, but there's a bunch of flowers and bean-sized cucumbers in there. this is 4 or 5 plants.

Tomatoes. These are just being weird. I planted about 10 plants at the same time and these 2 are just flourishing. The rest are still alive and still growing, but they're only 6" to 12" tall.

I really hope my family is ready for some potatoes. All the ones I planted are doing well. Of what I can see of them. They're not dead, so that's doing well in my book.

Peanuts. I thought the package said they'd make pink flowers, but I saw a yellow one on there today.

Strawberries. That I so far haven't killed. I've almost won my battle with the ants. I bought four of these berries from the same place, same variety. this one is doing the best and for some reason stems are turning red. looks like a nutrient issue maybe? I'm thinking of plucking the blooms off tomorrow to help the plant along just to be on the safe side.

gmp
Cool Member

wow! that's wonderful. :o . I envy u :wink: . Lol. Just started to learn gardening(this is about me).

Black River

Hey from another Arkansan....I envy your greenhouse. It's nice to have a place where you can get a head start in the spring. Being in south Arkansas you can get a really nice head start, you're even a couple of zones below us up in here in the north. Your stuff looks nice and healthy. I tried peanuts for the first time this year too. We bought some seed peanuts from some Amish folk nearby, but they're not doing the greatest. Yours are three times bigger!

Looks like you're having fun and you have a great space to do it in!

KeriFord

gmp wrote:wow! that's wonderful. :o . I envy u :wink: . Lol. Just started to learn gardening(this is about me).
this is my 3rd or 4th year in. stick with it and it will get better! :)

ETA: I've used that search bar here like CRAZY and it's been a huge boost. used it today, as a matter of fact for some cherry seeds. :)
Last edited by KeriFord on Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KeriFord

Black River wrote:Hey from another Arkansan....I envy your greenhouse. It's nice to have a place where you can get a head start in the spring. Being in south Arkansas you can get a really nice head start, you're even a couple of zones below us up in here in the north. Your stuff looks nice and healthy. I tried peanuts for the first time this year too. We bought some seed peanuts from some Amish folk nearby, but they're not doing the greatest. Yours are three times bigger!

Looks like you're having fun and you have a great space to do it in!
I tell ya, the greenhouse has been a blessing. we're either in a drought or we're flooded this time of year. To be able to completely control the weather and wind (and the animals!) has been so wonderful. I'm anxious to see what I can continue later into the fall and winter.

I was trying to think of something the husband would get out of my garden and finally thought peanuts. I went to 3 stores before I found some. Georgia something... ? Or maybe Tennessee. I can't remember. anyway, my peanuts took a while to come up. I planted 6 and 3 came up? I was having issues with that raised bed at the time, so that could have been why. Even still, they were slow to grow. They seem to have started doubling in size over the past couple weeks. probably about the time it got extra hot and stayed that way.

gmp
Cool Member

KeriFord wrote:
gmp wrote:wow! that's wonderful. :o . I envy u :wink: . Lol. Just started to learn gardening(this is about me).
this is my 3rd or 4th year in. stick with it and it will get better! :)

ETA: I've used that search bar here like CRAZY and it's been a huge boost. used it today, as a matter of fact for some cherry seeds. :)

yeah Sure. But here in singapore, particularly in my place,it is just partial sun what we could get and my plants are just in containers.
I have lot of troubles with whiteflies, spidermites and powdery mildew now the new arrival is Mr. Stem canker to my roses. but I have decided to fight O:) :cool: . Let's see.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I sure wish I had room for a green house! Maybe when that lottery retirement plan kicks in!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”