imafan26
Mod

Re: Garlic is doing something strange 3 ft tall.

I planted garlic last year in October, the bulbs were already sprouting so there wasn't a whole lot of choice in waiting. The tops are dying down now and I have small bulbs formed. The softneck garlic I plant do not make scapes, the top just browns and dies after about 5 months in the ground. :(

mattie g
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:I planted garlic last year in October, the bulbs were already sprouting so there wasn't a whole lot of choice in waiting. The tops are dying down now and I have small bulbs formed. The softneck garlic I plant do not make scapes, the top just browns and dies after about 5 months in the ground. :(
That's the lifecycle of garlic - you harvest when right about half (give or take) of the tops brown. Also, softnecks don't form scapes, so you unfortunately won't get to see the cool curly scape tops. And I imagine you'd have a hard time growing big garlic bulbs in Hawaii since you never get the extended cool snaps that garlic needs to initiate true bulbing.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Mine look NOTHING like any of the pictures posted.... Do you think I have enough cold here in southern california?

imafan26
Mod

I think my garlic would have been bigger if I gave it more nitrogen in the beginning, the tops don't grow more than 18 inches and most are about a foot. I tend to be heavy handed so I do need to be careful, if I add too much nitrogen it can last longer than I intend it to, then I will have lots of tops and no bulbs at all.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:Mine look NOTHING like any of the pictures posted.... Do you think I have enough cold here in southern california?
I'm worried about the same thing. My garlic looks fine:

but I wonder if I will get any bulbs.

If they don't bulb, should I just leave them in the ground for next year?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You will probably get bulbs. I've had garlic look like yours and they bulbed nicely. Just make sure to back off on fertilizing like 6 weeks prior to harvest. Then about the last 2 weeks give them no water and wait till they leaves get brownish and start to die a little. Be gentle when harvesting and don't yank on the green tops. Try to remove the dirt and get your hands under the bulb and pull up.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Waterbug mine look nothing like yours either... I think it is time to go out and get pictures :roll:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

where did you get your garlic from?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I bought mine at the supermarket and planted it when it started sprouting.

I have no idea what kind it is or where it comes from.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Having trouble with photos for some reason?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I bought mine at the store too. It sprouted very fast though and seems healthy.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”