IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY PEPPERS? HELP!!!!

I planted these peppers from the same batch of seed, same soil mix, same watering, same light schedule, same everything from my prolific ghost peppers I have posted before...

It started showing in 1 plant, The plant started loosing leaves, getting some brown spots and the lower leaves turning yellow. The stalk is puny and little. the leaves are not much bigger than my thumb, unlike the other ghost pepper plants that have leaves the size of my whole hand and stalks the size of a cigarette.

What is this and how do I fix it?

here is the other ones:

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

no one?

applestar
Mod

Are you using chemical fertilizer?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Nope only worm castings and coir mixed with miracle grow

applestar
Mod

Miracle Grow is/contains chemical fertilizers -- I.e. salts -- unless specifically labeled as organic (and even then some die-hard organic growers question their ingredients).

Anyway so one possibility that comes to my mind is that the fertilizer got concentrated unevenly at some point (perhaps due to crystallization of salts from being alternately dehydrated/hydrated) and these particular plants got hit with the concentrate in the soil mix.

imafan26
Mod

Some of the spots look like bacterial leaf spot. Some peppers are more susceptible than others. The spots usually form where water collects on the leaf.

I get that sometimes, but I have found that certain cultivars have fewer problems.

Below is a link to a publication to diagnose pepper problems.

https://www.hgic.umd.edu/_media/documents/hg57_000.pdf

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I think I am in agreement that it is a bacterial infection I think called "Black Spot" treated with copper fungicide.

Now what type of copper fungicide is the best?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I can't figure out how to edit a post so here is one of the pictures from a post above

imafan26
Mod

Copper sulfate fungicides are usually available at most garden shops you just have to read the label. The label usually will say 3 in 1 if it contains a fungicide and insect spray or fungicide. Powders are hard to come by and sprays are more effective. Good coverage is key.

Copper sulfate can be toxic especially if used a lot, so read directions carefully. Copper sulfate should be sprayed every 7 days as a preventive when conditions favorable to fungal growth persists. Cold wet weather, high humidity.

Fungal diseases are best prevented. They are difficult to control after the fact. Try to keep the foliage and area as dry as possible and get good air circulation and light. Remove damaged leaves and isolate the sick plants if you can. Spores will spread. It might be better to get rid of the sickest plants, they are unlikely to make it anyway and will only infect others if kept.

Neem sometimes works as a preventive fungicide, but you need to use it before there is a problem. It does not work after the fact very well.

Baking soda spray helps more with powdery mildew but does help to keep the leaves dry.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Most potting soil has NO food value for plants. You need to add fertilizer. For small potted plants Miracle Grow Plant food works good.

Miracle Grow potting soil has fertilizer added but it only lasts about 3 months then you need to add fertilizer.

Greens

May be over watered. Try and water it once a week. if your soil is REAL wet, id give it maybe even 2 weeks. points is your mix is right but you need a bit of aeration mixed in if you were looking to water frequently.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”