Ghurty
Newly Registered

New House in Central NJ - What veg's can I still plant?

I know I probably missed the big planting season, but is there anything I can still plant?
At first I want to plant plants and trees that bear fruit, but I also want to to plant plants/trees that are colorful.

The house is about 20 miles from the shore.

For next year I want to plan out a detailed plan but for now I just want to get some plants in.

According to the government I'm in zone 7b. For now I would be more interested in plants that produce vegetables rather quicker. Long term I would like to plan something out.

Thanks

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Everything is open to you really....even the cool weather stuff if you start from plants rather than seed. What do you like to eat? Start there....

Ghurty
Newly Registered

I like all vegetables and am new to this.
Until now I lived in a small apartment, now I have a half an acre. I don't even know what goes in new jersey.

In particular I like:
Peppers(hot and regular)
Tomatos
Eggplants
Melons
Peas

I know trees take a few years to grow,what trees grow good in new jersey?

Thanks

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Ghurty wrote:I like all vegetables and am new to this.
Until now I lived in a small apartment, now I have a half an acre. I don't even know what goes in new jersey.

In particular I like:
Peppers(hot and regular)
Tomatos
Eggplants
Melons
Peas

I know trees take a few years to grow,what trees grow good in new jersey?

Thanks
Not a tree guy, but you can plant all of your favorite veggies. Maters and peppers are still a ways off. You can start seeds indoors right now or wait another few weeks and buy plants. Peas, you can direct sow right now, although I'd pre-sprout them indoors first just to make sure they get a good start....

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Crops have different requirements. Cool weather crops can be planted early in March or April. Onions, carrots, peas, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, dill, kohlrabi, parsley, turnips, radish, arugula, and mustard all come in that early group.

A couple weeks later Mid April till Mid May, carrots, beets, parsnips and chard. Some plant these early too, however I have found them to not be as rugged as the first group. Potatoes can be planted with this group.

Then comes the tender plants. These don't like frost at all. You can plant these about a week before the date of your last average frost. Corn, squash, beans, good examples. I plant these starting May 5 here. You may be a little ahead of me.

Then the warm weather plants like cucumbers. About third week of may.

Tomatoes and peppers are long season warm weather plants and we usually start them indoors ahead of planting time or buy some starts from a grower. Plant them in the garden when there is no frost expected.

The two most important dates in gardening are the average last frost date in Spring and the average first frost in Fall. Do a little research on your local weather conditions to find these dates.

I think you are still early enough for any of these crops. Have fun.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”