TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

First radishes ever!

I've never grown radishes before, but they were giving away free seeds at the LA County Fair, so I picked up a pack and sowed them. Wow; talk about an easy plant to grow. I just sprinkled the seeds and raked them a bit, and two weeks later they came up. I didn't even have to weed them, because they outgrew everything so fast:

I don't even really have to pick them; they push themselves right out of the soil.

I now have a big, thick bed of radishes, with my beets and carrots on either side, struggling to keep up.

Here's the irony--I don't really like to eat them. Even if they're not spicy, I just don't like the flavor. They're crisp and light and juicy and . . . still radish-y.

But they sure are beautiful and fun to grow!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If all else fails, there are older recipes for cooked radish.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I'm in the same boat... radishes are fun to grow. I actually bought some purple radish seeds this year. But I just don't like to eat them....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am in the same baot myself. I don't like radishes either. But lke you all I still grow them, they are okay in salads and other places you can sneak them in. But they are the easiest thing to grow s why not.

I normally go out and broadcast radish seed early that way I have something to harvest while waiting on everything else.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice. Pass the radishes.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I lo them send them north! We still have 3 feet of snow lol

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I tasted a few again today and . . . I still don't like them. Most of them are also getting huge and woody.

The neighbor's horses like the greens, but the roots are too spicy for them.

They're really taking over their whole section of the garden:

Given their rate of growth, I think I'm going to pull them. If I let them go to seed, they'll take over the entire Western Hemisphere before anyone can stop them.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

You can eat the greens in a salad. Use them as 10 % of the salad and ull love it :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”