imafan26
Mod

If you are planting two varieties of corn. Make sure to plant them so they will mature 2-3 weeks apart to avoid cross pollination.

It is also a good idea to separate the tomatoes and peppers a bit. They are in the same family and attract the same pests. You could put the basil in front of the tomatoes. Basil are good companions for tomatoes and plant the peppers in front of the basil. As long as you have the room and plant spaced far enough, they should do fine.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Imafan has a good point - all night shades - tomatoes, peppers, eggplant are all susceptable to the same soil born pathogens and viruses.

applestar
Mod

...potatoes too...

imafan26
Mod

If you are looking for concrete reinforcing wire, it usually is not in the garden department. It will be with the construction materials. Usually where the cement and tile blocks are sold.

6 inch concrete reinforcing wire makes a better cage or trellis. Tomato cages are o.k. for cucumber and peas. Mine can open up to a three foot fence, so I use them for beans too. When I am done with them they fold and store very compactly. Tomato cages are too short for indeterminate tomatoes unless you get the kind that can be stacked.

It is a good idea to plant companions to separate plant families. It confuses the bugs.

Plant the things you like most to eat, but also what grows well, tastes better fresh, and is relatively expensive to buy.

Plant nectar plants in the yard or nearby to attract pollinators and beneficial insects. I grow allyssum, nasturtiums, marigolds and allow cilantro and basils to go to seed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”