FriedGreenTomatoes
Cool Member

Peas

First off this is the first time I'm starting seeds indoors. From what I read, I should be planting peas right in the garden. I know there are exceptions sometimes, and I'm wondering if peas are one?

Can I start them indoors and get good results? (I have already done so and am worried it might be a waste of time)

I've planted veggies in the past, but this year I'm serious about the outcome.

Hope I'm on the right track......

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Peas are usually planted directly in the ground, because there is no particular advantage to starting them indoors. They are quick sprouting and quick growing and like cool weather. The only problem with starting them indoors, is then they will be tender and not adapted to the outdoors, so they will have to be carefully hardened off. If they haven't sprouted yet and your soil is workable, I'd just go ahead and put them in the ground now. If you just plant the whole ball of soil the pea is in, you should be able to do it without bothering them.

But if you want to give it a try starting them indoors, I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as you do harden them off gently.

FriedGreenTomatoes
Cool Member

Test

I posted a reply but it's not showing up....

FriedGreenTomatoes
Cool Member

Trying again...

So its kind of cool inside so maybe the temp change won't be so bad. There's also a lot of work to do in/to the garden before I can plant anything!

Plus there's still snow on the ground :(

On the bright side, I have about 2 acres to play with, so maybe I'll put the ones I started already off to the side and direct sow New seeds.

mattie g
Green Thumb

FriedGreenTomatoes, the issue isn't just the temperature - it's all the conditions of the outdoors that transplanted plants need to get used to: wind, sun, etc. This is why we need to harden off pretty much anything we start indoors, because if we don't then they'll struggle mightily when they're transplanted and will die more likely than not.

As rainbow said, peas are better suited to be directly sown and they grow very quickly such that there's really no benefit to starting them indoors. So find out when the best time would be to sow in your area and pop them in the ground when the time is right (hopefully that'll be sooner rather than later). You're very likely to get a good pea crop that way.

FriedGreenTomatoes
Cool Member

My LFD is around May 20th. These things are gonna be out of control by then. Maybe I should change my name to impatient! Or do better research. Thanks for the help!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You don't have to wait until danger of frost is past to put your peas out. They have pretty good cold resistance. Harden them off some in the next week then plant them out about April 1.

I usually plant peas 6 weeks ahead of the average date of last frost. Any time in April that the ground is dry enough to get on works here.

You might try planting a few seeds directly in the garden when you put the starts out just for the experiment. We learn to do by doing.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”