lovely_star

2nd year gardener need help prepping for new season

Hi All,

How do I prep my beds (pictured) for this years growing season? There were tomatoes, peppers and brassica family crops in the two beds. Will those veggies grow back again this season or are they dead? The reason I'm asking is because I want to rotate my crops this year. I want to put my tomatoes and peppers in the ground and put my lettuce, brassica and corn in the beds. I was hoping to learn from the mistakes I made last year being a first time gardener and get better this year. Please help!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

Royiah

Not sure about the brassica so cant help you there. But first off you need to remove any dead plants, stems, weeds and anything besides your soil unless you have a plant that is permanent.
Tomato's, peppers, corn, cucumbers, etc. do not grow back you'll need to plant new ones.
From what I can see your soil doesn't look very good. it looks like its dry and will be hard and not very easy to work with. Have you had a soil test? That might help you find out if your soil is ok. Me I try to make sure my soil stays a rich dark color. What kind of soil did you use in that bed? You'll want to amend it if its no good. You'll need to add compost and other amendments depending on how good your soil is. Hope this helps. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nothing you planted last year is likely to come back, unless you totally let them go to seed and drop seed and even then it is iffy.

Your prepping for this year is to rejuvenate your soil as Royiah suggested. Lay down a lot of compost and other organics (well aged composted manure, fall leaves, whatever you have around). Turn the soil over and mix the amendments in. Then break it up with fork and chop with hoe until it is well broken up, loose and fluffy.

For the future, it helps if you keep your soil mulched as much as possible, with grass clippings, pulled weeds, shredded paper, hay or straw or whatever you have. After things are done in the fall, lay down a new layer of mulch to protect your soil over the winter. The mulch gradually breaks down and helps build rich loose soil.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes brassicas will winter over. Since they are biennial in growth habit, they will just want to go to seed. The other things you mention will not winter over.

Just clean up remains from last year and as others suggested work in some amendments. Have a great garden!

lovely_star

Thanks guys for all the helpful responses :-)

imafan26
Mod

After the season is over is a good time to add more organic matter, plant a green manure or mulch the beds until next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”