JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Uggh....thought I was in the clear, now a deep freeze

It's such a battle growing "spring" crops here where I am in the mountains of Virginia, because...well...we don't have spring. It goes from winter to summer in about 3 days most years.

Anyway, I got some cabbage and brussels sprouts plants in the ground last weekend. Its later than I like, but its been so cold. At the time I planted, the 10 day forecast didn't have nighttime lows lower than about 29-30. I thought I'd be OK.

Now, NOAA is saying 20 tonight and a HIGH of about 32 tomorrow. I'll cover everything with upturned flower pots and a hill of mulch. I think I'll be ok, but I could lose them. Frustrating, isn't it?

I still haven't planted any lettuce...I think last year at this time I was already picking lettuce.

estorms

I have put sheets and light blankets over mine. Make sure you take them off in the morning and then put them back at night if you need to. Do not leave them on all day if it is freezing two nights in a row.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Near freezing all the way down here. No danger to cool weather crops though. Tender transplants will have to go inside from the cold frame.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Lol...so yeah. Cold snap was snappier than most. It got down to 17 last night! :shock:

Anyway, I covered everything Wednesday night around 6 p.m. Since it never got out of the 20s Thursday I just left them covered. 17 when I woke this morning, so of course I left them covered. I just ran home during lunch to uncover them (temps had just gotten above 30 and are supposed to be mid 40s for a high today. Spent 4 dollars worth of gas to save 4 dollars worth of plants...lol...but they all seem to be OK. One of the cabbages was a little grumpy, and two of the sprouts muttered something under their breath. Oh well...

applestar
Mod

:lol: I can TOTALLY relate. I hope they are in a better mood by the time you get home later. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ouch! Cole crops are pretty cold tolerant, but 17° would make even those grumpy OK.

Cold here today too. 27° and snowing. I have planted some spinach seed and onion plants, but nothing else yet.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Ouch! Cole crops are pretty cold tolerant, but 17° would make even those grumpy OK.
You know, I wish now I would have stuck a couple of those min/max thermometers under a couple of my covers. I'd love to know how the temp under a cover relates to the outside. I did notice that when I went to uncover them (again, it was right around 30 degrees and full sun), the soil outside of my covers and the mulch around the base of the covers was frozen, but the soil underneath was NOT frozen. But yeah....kicking myself now for not putting some thermometers in there. Would have been useful info to know...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”