SLC

Has anyone ever started ICEBURG lettuce indoors?

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has ever started iceburg lettuce indoors. I am specifically asking about iceburg lettuce because it's the only kind I like. I tried to start it indoors last year, but as the plants grew, some got too tall and fell over and some got stuck to the other plants and also the sides of the container and the leaves literally ripped.

Are there any tips or tricks you can give me for starting indoors? Is it possible? Since we just got another 6 inches of snow last night, and it is icing out now, and it's gonna be in the 20s overnight for the next week at least, I think I better start indoors and transplant when I can.

This year, I do have a better plant light set up - it's got 2 separate light fixtures, so I can plant slower growing/low plants under one light and the taller/faster growing plants under the other. I think that might help? I am also thinking that when the lettuce gets big enough, before it starts sticking to put into bigger pots? Why is it sticky? That's weird.

I don't know....does anyone have any experience starting iceburg lettuce indoors or have any tips/tricks? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanx!
Last edited by SLC on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

I grew them a couple of years ago to placate DH who wouldn't eat Bibb and leaf lettuces I was also growing.

All lettuce stick to each other and fall over, too.

It's very important to use good strong light to minimize legginess, thin to individual cells/pots to keep them from touching each other and when the seedlings start growing a second pair of true leaves, Uppot and bury the seed leaves up to the base of the true leaves so the true leaves are snuggled in 1/2 and 1/2 sand and potting mix layer. Add more sandy mix to the base of the seedlings if necessary.

I hardened themoff (carefully and gradually) and planted them outside when they had two or three pairs of true leaves. I used a floating cover to protect them. Don't plant them out too early especially if you suspect you may have slug and snail problems. They LOVE icebergs above leaf and Bibb lettuces and green icebergs more than red. :x

You may want plant some sacrificial seedlings, or put out 1/2 citrus or other baited trap that they love and assess the situation at first.

Don't plant out too late -- they bolt very quickly. If in doubt, harvest even if they haven't fully formed their heads. Note that you can harvest iceberg lettuce leaf by leaf and not wait and harvest the entire head, but then you won't get as much blanching of the interior leaves, and at some point, when they are trying to form heads, you end up with strangely rolled and curled leaves that have trouble arranging themselves into a cohesive head form.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”