Royiah

Melon cucumber question?

Ok so I'm getting ready to plant my seeds out and set up my new trellis. But I heard that melons and cucumbers can cross pollinate and I don't want that to happen. So I was wondering how far away does my new cucumber trellis need to be from my melons so they don't cross pollinate?

sepeters

Hi Royiah!
This is not something you need to worry about! I have heard this before and it is just an urban legend. I grow cukes, squash, and melons in the same bed every year and never had a problem. Things always look and taste as they ought to. :) I don't harvest my own cucumber seeds (lazy) so I can't say what the f1 gen looks like, but have never had same season issues with my harvest.

What would a honeydew crossed with a cucumber be like, if this were possible? Sounds good to me!

Check this out! This article explains it nicely.

https://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews ... sspol.html

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nope! Not going to happen. You can plant them intermingled with no worries.

Plants within a species will cross, however this doesn't even matter unless you are saving seed and want to keep the strain pure.

Melons and cukes are of different species. Will not cross.

Corn is the only plant I know where the pollen that fertilizes the seed actually affects the flavor of the seed. Even then it has to be corn pollen. Pollen of other species won't work. Of course we eat the corn seed but, the flesh is the edible part of melons and cukes.
Last edited by jal_ut on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Royiah

eh really?! Thank goodness now I don't have to find another spot on the other side of my yard. :/ :D
Do you get seeds from your other plants in that bed or just not the cukes? I'm planning on getting seed from my plants this year.

applestar
Mod

Armenian cucumbers can cross with melons (specifically MUSK melons) but not other cucumbers.

:arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_cucumber

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

While on the subject, let me give you an example of squash varieties crossing. One year I planted both Hubbard and Banana squash. Both in the same species. At end of season I saved some seed from a Hubbard. The following year I again planted Hubbard and Banana, but I also planted some of the saved seed from the Hubbard.

Here is a picture of what I got. As expected, Hubbard from the true Hubbard seed, Banana from the true Banana seed, and a hybrid fruit from the seed I had saved, which obviously was a cross between the two varieties I had grown.

The hybrid fruit is the one in the middle. You can see it has some characteristics of both parents. This ,by the way, was a delightful eating squash. Its flavor and texture both excellent.
Last edited by jal_ut on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Royiah

ohh cool. nice squash. :D

sepeters

royiah- i do collect the other seeds; they're easy to get at and not generally edible raw, so I have no excuse! I have planted the squash seeds and subsequent generations were unaffected. If I plant only one kind of melon I will save the seed, but last year I did honeydews and tiggers and was afraid they'd crossed, so I did not save seed, as I don't have much room and don't want to take a chance on a potentially large and high yielding but bland tasting hybrid melon! Though, I bet it'd smell fantastic!:lol: Lots of melons will cross pollinate, just something to keep in mind when trying to collect "pure" seed. Canadews (cantaloupe/honeydew hybrid) are good. :o

applestar-Very interesting. So -theoretically- if one had suddenly become obsessed with the idea of creating a cucumelon (as I, erm, this person, would probably call it...) one would use Armenian cucumbers and preferably musk melons? Hmmm...

Royiah

that's good to know. Thanks. So if I have more then one kind of melon/cuke how far away do they need to be?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”