Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Should these Peppers be fruiting?

I have them in my basement under lights. I was down there tonight bottling wine and beer and noticed fruit!!

the pepper set up

Closer

one more shot

The Fruit

The Fruit 2

The Fruit 3

Thoughts?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Ok so I know the fruit is hard to see but trust me they are there. between 2cm and 1cm.

silly iphone pictures :D

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

They seem to be ready to fruit. :lol: Beautifuk plants. Maybe you started them a bit too early, if you are not ready to transplant.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I may have started them earlier then required ;)

I have them all now in EarthBoxes which will be their summer home ;)

Do you think they should be fruiting under artificial light?

applestar
Mod

Why not? Are you thinking brightness? Color range?
I'm finding winter indoor peppers (Jalapeños and Hot Lemon in my case) to be less fussy than winter indoor tomatoes about blooming and setting fruit, despite lower light and temperature conditions or even mediocre soil fertility.

Shake/tap or buzz with electric toothbrush the blossom trusses to help release pollen to get higher rate of fruitset, or just let them randomly set fruit.

On the other hand, you can pluck all the blooms if you want the plants to concentrate their energy on growth.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thanks Apple! I was just not sure if it was possible to get fruit production under the lights ;)

I guess I might have a couple of special treats ;)

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

You're welcome. :D

I'm always going to grow a couple of winter indoor peppers... To overwinter as well as to harvest and eat. :wink:

I was hoping to start and grow a number of varieties from a stock of old seeds this summer to have more to choose from, but so far, these old seeds are not cooperating. But I do have a couple of De Arbol seedlings up now (and a couple of Jalapeño seedlings to replace my 4th year ones in case they decline). I just sowed another round a few days ago, and if they still won't sprout, I'll have to try pre-soaking.

It's almost time to wake up the other ones (Corno di Toro, Golden Summer Hybrid, and Poblano) I left to overwinter in near freezing conditions in the garage and see if they survived. 8)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am really enjoying the peppers :) it has given me something to do over the last few months! I sure hope the fruit does will inside :) when they go outside in May do you think they will continue flowering and producing fruit?

applestar
Mod

Yep. That's the best part about overwintering pepper plants. They are all already blooming and setting fruit by the time they can go outside and continue to produce all summer as long as you keep them fed.
-- This is the reason I'm not concerned that my peppers haven't sprouted and plan to keep trying until they do.

BTW, I forgot to mention the two Etkezi Paprika seedlings that are also up. And this morning after posting the above, I went to mist my seedlings and discovered a Peruvian White Habanero seedling pushing its little loop up from the soil. :()

sepeters

Your peppers look great! It is nice that you got them to fruit indoors! They will slow down a bit when you transplant them, but should start fruiting again once the roots are repaired.

Our climates are obviously very different, but, for what it's worth... my jalapenos and serranos don't ever stop producing once they start, until they die. Summer temps will soar up to 118F and they're still making new blossoms and new peppers. We don't get snow and temps are usually not lower than 35F at night; they died when we had a surprise frost and were not covered, but the plants probably had at least 20 peppers on each at that point. They will produce as long as they have enough light/nutes and temps are above freezing. :D

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Isn't that just the Best when you see the stubborn ones finally pop up :)

I have Alpine and Sierra f1 hybrid strawberries starting from seed this year. Those little monsters too forever to pop their little heads up. They re doing great now! I got 85% germination !!

I picked my peppers this year by color :) I did trade for some and purchased others but they are all sorts of colors :) red yellow orange white green :) should be lots of fun!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Yup our climate is very different :) although it looks like ill be able to play around with hot peppers while I wait through the winter :)

A shot of my backyard with the new addition of 18" of snow

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Your peppers look happy as can be. Are your lights all fluorescent?

Your climate resembles what we have here at the upper ranch, We do have a spot or two of earth starting to show.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I have two grow lights in the small contraption on the left. The pepper lights are ballasts. One is daylight and then the other is white light. One of each in each of the lights

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Your peppers are saying, your light combination is correct.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Not bad for asking for advice and then promptly forgetting and getting the wrong ones :)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Update on the peppers in the basement :)

The set up Image

Te Rio De Oro pepper

The Super Hungarian Hot has a ton of fruit! Oddly enough I nearly killed this plant. Image

I also have some Major League and Jalepeno

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Should these Peppers be fruiting?
Sure! Why not? Enjoy.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I sure am !!

dave103069

For peppers it is always a good idea to pull the flowers or friuts that come out early which will help the plant produce more fruit and higher yield later on..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

dave103069 wrote:For peppers it is always a good idea to pull the flowers or friuts that come out early which will help the plant produce more fruit and higher yield later on..
That's a controversial statement, which might have been prefaced with IMHO ... Notice jal_ut's comment above. He grows a remarkably productive garden in short season. Some people pinch out early blossoms and some don't. Personally I don't. If the plant isn't ready to support them, it will drop the blossoms on its own.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

No problem with the peppers starting to produce other than it will slow down growth. I have been picking blooms off my plants becayse I want them to get bigger. I have also been experimenting with cutting and "bushing" the pepper plants!!! It has worked so well I am doinh it to all my plants

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Currently I am working on getting fruit at all ;) ill experiment with bushing and testing the removal of early flowers next season :D

I do have some white flies on the plants now but they don't seem to be harming them.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What is your potting mix? Your plants look really good.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I started them in a nice seed starting mix and then the soil I use is a soilless mix with organic fertilizer pellet things.

They are doing well for my pepper plants. usually mine are much smaller and very rarely fruit. Short season and all ;)

they get light from 8am to 8pm right now.

I can put more info up once my son goes to sleep if you like.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I would suggest a change to 16 on and 8 off... However it seems your peppers like your light schedule, so don't change anything!!! Forget what anyone says!! YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thanks Indy! I can not wait to eat them :)

applestar
Mod

I was seriously thinking about the light timing....

In their native equitorial habitat, equal day/night length doesn't vary much if at all by seasons, so if the light intensity is bright enough, they may very well be happier with 12/12 schedule.

The longer length of time is used primarily to compensate for the reduced light intensity.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

So far the peppers and strawberry plants are doing very well. Not that I planned it just kind of happened :)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Update :). I ended up with white flies and will be working on them until the plants can go outside :)

That being said the plants look just fine :)

And the whole growing room :)

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Nice set-up!! And don't worry about white flies.. They wont eat your plants, just kill what you see and don't sweat it

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Are they harmful to anything else? I have wine/beer brewing 10' away and a spare bed 15'.

Thanks by the way. It took a long time to figure out how to do that with out drilling into things :)

applestar
Mod

White flies are sucking insects. You will notice white colored pinpoints on the upper surface of the leaves when they are congregating and sucking the plant juices from underneath. When excessive, they can cause the leaf to dry up and die.

They can be infectious vectors for plant diseases (to plants, you understand).

Like all sucking insects, their feeding attracts ants to the sticky "honeydew".

I don't believe any of this can cause problems for your other uses in the area.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thanks! I will run down to the garden shop for something to help :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”