IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Never planted potatoes have questions

I am building a trellis for my luffa and cucumbers. This will be made out of 6' long 4x4s and a metal fence. 4x4s will be spaced 5' apart and will be 2 rows of 3.
The metal fencing will be up onside across the top and back down the other side leaving and opening to walk under where the cucumbers and luffa to hang grow through the fencing. This opening will be situated from north to south.

Now for the question:
Can I plant the potatoes under this trellis. The luffa and cucumbers should cover this fencing pretty well and should give that area a bit of shade. Thoughts please

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

it's worth a shot - but keep in mind, potatoes don't like hot weather.

get them in early; in full sun they'll dry up late June-early July. they do not have to be dug immediately, but obviously digging out the potatoes is not going to benefit the roots of the other plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Can I plant the potatoes under this trellis.
I would not. Give them their own spot if you want any tubers.

applestar
Mod

Under the trellis would be good for early cool weather leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, and cilantro that would benefit from the shade to prolong harvest. You might also plant peas on the inside of the fence which will finish up before cukes and luffa planted on the outside of the fence take over the trellis.

Potatoes should be planted where hilling as they grow and thorough digging up when they are harvested do not affect other plants in the same area. Often they can be planted where other plants will grow into and take over the area as they grow -- after or just as the potatoes are dug and free up the space. One year I planted southern peas like that and it worked realy well. You can also FOLLOW potatoes with fall crops in late summer after they are dug.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Thank you for the help. I will choose a different place for them

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”