Avonnow
Green Thumb

Mulching with guinea pig cage - hay

I have a guinea pig- Mr. Pickles. I clean his cage every five days. I usually throw his Timothy hay that lines his cage right in compost, could I use it to Mulch around my plants right away, it does have alittle poo and pee in it, but not sure if it would be enough droppings to harm plants. Any thoughts, I do cleaning every five days I was thinking that maybe it didn't have enough to harm the plants. :shock:

LA47
Green Thumb

I tried it once and was surprised at how many weeds I had coming up! It didn't hurt the plants though.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Yeah whenever I buy hay or the timothy hay and have used it for ground cover in my garden - around the raised beds - it brings with it loads of weeds, usually I try to put it pretty deep so avoid that. I appreciate your comment. I was worried more about the poop/urine part, I may try it. My compost is only so big and with empting the cage every five days I have alot and I hate to waste it.

applestar
Mod

I always think guinea pigs look like stubby-eared rabbits. Maybe their "manure" is similarly harmless and beneficial even when directly used?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”