nancygene

damping off question

I have some broccoli plants that appear to be damping off. I found an article that said to apply cinnamon (one time) to the plants. Has anyone tried this? Will it stop the damping off or do I have to start these plants over again? Thanks in advance for your help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I put cinnamon in the water I water with, just a little shake of powdered cinnamon in a pitcher of hot water and stir. I do this all the time and it works very well against damping off and fungus gnats.

You want to be careful if putting the cinnamon on the soil and especially if it would touch the plants. Too much cinnamon can burn the plants. It doesn't kill them (at least I never have), but it can leave whitish burned looking spots.

If your little seedlings are already flopped over, then they can't be saved. Damping off can be prevented, but not treated.

Be sure not to over-water and provide good air circulation, both of which help against the damping off.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If your growing seeds inside the house you need a FAN.

Is the air outside in your yard as dead calm as the air inside your house? You need to do as mother nature does and blow air on the plants.

The moment the plants come up from the soil they need real sun light or grow lights that make artifical sun light. Lack of real sun light produces tall skinny plants they are very supectable to damping off.

It also helps to water plants from the bottom.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

nancygene

These plants kind of sneaked up on me. I planted them one day and it seems like two days later the sprouts were touching the dome lid. I removed the lid and sprinkled a small amount of cinnamon on them, especially where I saw the white "fuzzies" growing. The soil was too wet for me to spray them with cinnamon water mist. Hopefully, I have not damaged the plants. Only about 3 of the seedlings were tipped over, so I hope I got to the problem quick enough. Time will tell.

nancygene

Oops, forgot to mention that I also started a small fan on the plants to "wiggle" them and help keep the soil from staying too wet.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I get those little fuzzy's too right after germination and right when the top is taken off. But immediately moved to lights and a fan and there is usually no problem.

RBG has got me convinced with the Cinnamon water. I believe her recipe is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. I also add a chamomile tea bag per gallon as I belive she does as well, Both are antifungals. I very Rarely have any problems.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”