valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

chili peppers?

What is the name of that little yellow chili pepper, the kind you get in jars pickled? The are about 1 inch long, Mezzetta sells them calling them: Hot chili peppers.

If you know what they are, I'd be thankful.

Richard

imafan26
Mod

According to mazetta's website it says it uses cascabel peppers from California.

Some hot peppers were made from hot yellow wax peppers aka Hungarian wax peppers.

https://www.mezzetta.com/our-products/de ... li-peppers

valley
Greener Thumb

Thanks imafan, I'll see if I can find some seeds. Good luck to you.

Richard

valley
Greener Thumb

I found a site that sells the casabela chili. Think I'll give them a try.

imafan26
Mod

If you look on the mezzeta website under chili peppers. It shows a few products made from different kinds of peppers. Maybe the one you are looking for is there.

The one that we like to use here is the tabasco. We call it hawaiian chili, but it is the same. It is a hot pepper so you don't need much.

We make chili pepper water. It contains peppers, garlic, vinegar, water and salt. Some recipes add ginger. It goes on just about everything. Don't worry if it gets cloudy, it I still good.

https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/classic- ... pper-water

valley
Greener Thumb

Greetings, I found that cascabel peppers are a round cherry shaped, but cascabella peppers are described and pictured as the type of pepper I want.
I found them at Sustainable Seed Co and just ordered them. You pointed me in the right direction. Don't know why the wrong spelling, that leads in to a different pepper,is on that site,

The pepper water you mentioned sounds worth trying. Thankyou glad to have met you.
PS. just read the instructions for pepper water, I'll try it when I have the peppers in hand.

Richard

imafan26
Mod

Glad I could help. I did know that cascabel and cascabella were two different peppers. Cascabel is supposed to be milder than cascabella. Cascabella's heat is in the Jalapeno range.

I did think it strange when mezzetta said it used cascabels. I could not figure out how they got a normally brown pepper in a yellow stage and cascabels are usually rounder.

Tabasco chilis are in the 30,000 scoville range. And it is the chili used to make tabasco sauce.

https://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

valley
Greener Thumb

Greetings, I read a bit about Cascabella, they are 1500-4000 scoville scale.
That's hot, but it won't set your head on fire.

imafan26
Mod

True. Actually, heat is not the only thing you want in a pepper. You also want it to have flavor.

I cannot eat really hot peppers, but I find drying peppers increase the heat tremendously.

Roasting peppers bring out a very nice sweetness.

I like the milder pepperoncini for its crispness.

Hungarian wax, just enough heat so I can still taste everything else.

I like fresh tabasco peppers more than tabasco sauce, they have more heat and flavor.

Thai hot is about as hot as I can handle it.

My friend is a chili head. She eats frozen Jalapenos as a snack. She likes my cayennes and thai hots, but she does not like the habanero. She says the the habanero tastes like gasoline.

I have found with growing peppers that there is a lot of variation in heat within varieties and even on the same plant.

I have had problems of late with the jalapenos. Some peppers on the same plant are mildly hot and others are like eating bells, no heat at all. Supposedly I had a jalapeno M which should be hot. I don't grow TAM jalapenos that were bred for less heat.

I have been told this same thing happens with ghost peppers too.

So far I have not had as much problems with peppers that have not been hybridized as much. Tabasco, habanero (scotch bonnet), serrano, cayennes, and Thai hot, so far have maintained their heat.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Pepperoncini, Cascabel, Banana pepper, peppadew and Hot Cherry all make good pickles.

imafan26
Mod

The ones we like are the bird peppers and tabasco. Have you tried fenadeni?
It is great on grilled meats and vegetables. It is tame unless you eat the pepper.

https://www.food.com/recipe/finadene-386453

I've had the pepperoncini, banana and cherry pickles and they are good but not the peppadew.

valley
Greener Thumb

I like tabasco, I planted a few Cascabella in house, I'm excited to see them grow, haven't sprouted yet. some of the peppers mentioned I haven't heard of like: bird peppers, fenadeni, peppadew. Others I haven't tried.

Mom had the peppers growing: small about 1-1 1/2" red when ripe hot in the extreme. I would like to find out what they were, she grew them for color. Can't remember if the peppers grew upright or hanging form the plant. I think hanging.

richard

Bushman

Thanks for the recipe on the pepper water! love peppers but run out of things to do with them. Now I have another addition to the pantry. Does the vinegar just add enough acidity to "keep" them or is this product a limited shelf life thing?

imafan26
Mod

The chili pepper water vinegar and salt tend to be the main preservatives. The chili pepper water is kept out most of the day and does not need to be refrigerated. It doesn't hurt to keep it refrigerated though. It gets cloudy over time, but it is still edible, in fact it gets a little bit hotter.

Most people make just one small bottle at a time and use it up fairly quickly.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”