canuck

cats in the raised beds!!!

I have added 3 raised beds to my garden. However there was no room for them inside the fenced area and now I am findind cat paw prints and poop in my veggi garden. Does anyone know a low cost way to deter the cats from going in it besides another fence???

tiggs&oscar

Hey there,

The simplest thing I can think of is using canes and netting to enclose your crops. I've just used the net bag my logs came in to drape over the canes supporting my beans in a pot.
If you can think of anyone near you who buys things in net like veg stores or log suppliers ask for their spare net and cut the edges to join them up using the canes.
Try this method before you start thinking about cat scare tactics as it will protect them from other predator's too.

TO :P

Pashenfish
Newly Registered

I've had the same problems with "dirty booty kitty" in my neighborhood. My cats always alert me when "DBK" is around. I normally dash into the yard with a spray bottle. After doing this a few times, DBK learned to not come in my yard. He now walks along the side of the yard on the street and I haven't had cat poo in my garden in a while
I was also told cat feces is not a fertilizer - it's kinda toxic. So, I got a seperate pooper scooper and cleaned out the raised bed.
Also - I adjusted my censor light so it goes off when animals are around that bed - scares away the rabbits ...for now.

Pashenfish
Newly Registered

I forgot - I also have my guy friends pee in the yard! human urine is a great detterent. So, I cannot say if the censor lites or spray bottles worked or the urine.

gb

Red chili powder works, I had this problem for a month, been rid of it for 2 weeks :twisted:

Inamon

You could also go for the extra strength dried cayote/wolf pee. mix with water to create an intoxicating aroma garuanteed to scare just about everything.

grantandersonuk

If you have an outside tap you can rig up a simple spray system which will save you running down the garden. Cats hate water!

There are also battery operated sub sonic cat alarms available on EBay for a few dollars which my mother finds very effective. They trigger off a noise which cats don't like when they approach the alarm.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

I've seen other garden and non-garden catalogues off up motion-sensitive sprinkler heads, some with fancy heads like crows or something. They usually offer them as deer deterrents, but I'm sure they'd work on cats or anything else. Except maybe ducks. I had a mallard pair that would sail in just before sunset for a munch and take a shower in the sprinkler if it was running. So, if I saw them I'd sneak out and turn it on. Just call me an old softie. :lol:

Happy Gardening.
Wingdesigner

canuck

Thankyou everyone for your suggestions. I tried the chili powder--it seemed to work but I got sick of reapplying it. So I tried putting chicken wire over the beds and that seemed to be a cheap and easy fix. My veggies are almost big enough that I can take the chick wire off and the cats should stay out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”