bwhite829

anybody make a teepee trellis?

I don't have alot of room and would like to grow some vining edamame if it exists and some vining kidney beans and trellis some squash and pumpkins. I have a source of unlimited stakes but don't know how complicated or durable a teepee trellis would be. I figure lean them up longways with one large limb on the top and several tied longways to make a lattice style teepee trellis? Is this doable and durable? Investment would be a few dollars for twine if I can't find a suitable vine to use to tie them together. Thanks for the input.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

used small branches for years. trick is to bury them deep enough the wind can't blow them over - about 9-12"

looks like

went high tech with a four poster and custom made top knot

JoParrott
Newly Registered

teepee trellis

They can be any way you want- the biggest consideration is how much wind you get. I grow most of my veggies vertically- pole beans, cucumbers, some squash, etc. But I have to use fence posts and attach them to my wood fence, or they would blow down all the time. I have rocky soil so I can't drive posts far into the ground. I also don't like the teepee shape because it all comes together at the top, and when the bean vines get crowded it is hard picking them.

imafan26
Mod

Looks good. I used to use tee pee poles before, but I don't now. I'm kinda spoiled with cages. I made them with bamboo. Bamboo is just easy to get here.

I haven't seen soy beans except in the bush variety. It works out fine since they grow in clusters and who eats a few beans anyway. I grow the Kahala variety that is recommended.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Re: anybody make a teepee trellis?

bwhite829 wrote:I don't have alot of room and would like to grow some vining edamame if it exists and some vining kidney beans and trellis some squash and pumpkins. I have a source of unlimited stakes but don't know how complicated or durable a teepee trellis would be. I figure lean them up longways with one large limb on the top and several tied longways to make a lattice style teepee trellis? Is this doable and durable? Investment would be a few dollars for twine if I can't find a suitable vine to use to tie them together. Thanks for the input.
To my knowledge, soybeans used for edamame don't grow on vines but low lying plants that can be planted very close together. I grow a couple crops of soybeans a year and use them exclusively for edamame.

As for using things for stakes, when I did that I would use willow branches taken from the Mississippi batture between the levee and waters edge. Willow trees grow quite easily in that area. I now have a couple large wood frame, hog wire covered trellises that I plant cucumbers and pole beans.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”