Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Question about Strawberries starting from seeds

I have two types of strawberries starting from seeds in my basement right now. I was wondering if I was likely to get fruit from them the first year?

If not I have to save my pennies to supplement them with plants from the garden shop.

The reason I ask is my other hobby is brewing. I want to make strawberry wine this year and would prefer to grow them all :)
Stephen

sepeters

You're likely to get some small berries your first summer (or spring, depending on the variety). Some people tend to pinch off the flowers the first year so the plant can expend its energy growing deep, strong roots. The stronger the roots the more likely your plant is to survive through its dormancy in the winter. Some people say it doesn't matter. Either way the second years' harvest will generally be larger than the first years'.

If you are going to spend your money consider buying dormant strawberry roots. They are usually one year old already, so you put them in the ground after the last frost and they will be quite productive once they come up. You can buy a bag of ten dormant roots (usually guaranteed to grow) for $3.49, American.

There are June and everbearing berries. For some great, detailed information and instruction check out some of these threads or head to the fruit forum. Good stuff there!

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... hp?t=31397
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... hp?t=31455

And this university link for "official" info
https://nysipm.cornell.edu/organic_guide/strawberry.pdf

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thank you Sepeters. I figure ill put the seedlings I started in a small garden off to the side.

I figure for the production ill try to find some dormant strawberry roots. By chance do you know of a good source in Canada? the American sites cant ship live plants here. I only need about 20-30 plants.

time to read ;) thanks for the links
Stephen

prettygurl

I have been growing mine from seed. I agree that you won't get enough to make a bunch of wine the first year.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

By chance would you know of a Canadian source for dormant root balls?
Stephen

sepeters

You're welcome, Stephen. Unfortunately, I don't know where to buy anything in Canada! :)

Tried to do a search for it and all that came up was walmart. You could try there. They are usually available in the garden center at wally world or most chain home improvement stores. This year I bought mine at a hydroponics supply store, so you could check there too. Maybe call around first, rather than drive all around town.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thanks !! Ill have to try that :)
Stephen

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”