applestar
Mod

Winter Indoor Gardening Ideas

I have been growing a bucket-o-greens for my brother and his girlfriend as a present. Originaly intended to be presented in January, our mutual schedule/winter illnesses, etc. resulted in not seeing each other until now.

It was sort of an experiment because I didn't have room for another 2 gal bucket in the house. So I have been growing them out in the windowless, unheated garage where a bucket of water has been freezing on the surface. (I have my overwintering peppers, pomegranates, lemongrass and geraniums out there too and am not sure if they'll survive but that's a topic for another thread :wink:)

Due to extreme low light and the frigid temp, the shoplight stays on 24/7, providing a modicum of warmth.

Before the bucket-o-greens is gone, I thought I'd take a picture. As you can see, they are growing well and will make a nice present :D

The smaller container behind it is for my own use. :()

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Looks cool! What is in that?

applestar
Mod

Spinach, lettuce, Cardinal Swiss chard, arugula, some Asian greens -- maybe Tatsoi but I think it was something else... maybe Misome or Yu Choi Sum, I'm thinking German radish or other kind of radish in the middle (those big seed leaves), the onion shoots are Egyptian walking onions. I wrote it all down on the side of the bucket, but I don't feel like going out there to look now. :P

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Wish I could get spinach to germinate. Have had very poor germination for the past few years. Any tips?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:Wish I could get spinach to germinate. Have had very poor germination for the past few years. Any tips?
I am surprised you are having problems with germination. Usaully spinach is very easy. Plant and walk away.

Are they your own seeds?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Great idea Apple. They look great for being in the garage.

I said something somewhere about my greens in pots outside. Been there since ealry fall. They still have a bit of life in them and I belive some of them will come back when it warms up. Esppeacially the spinach it has the most new growth, even though it is very little. But it's still green. 8)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I generally save seed packets from one year to the next, but upon having problems with spinach, starting always buying some fresh seeds each year. I tend to get very poor germination, to the tune of maybe a half dozen plants out of 50 or more seeds. I just planted a bed yesterday and it is raining today and tomorrow. Hopefully this year will be better. Probably should try soaking some seeds this year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

So pretty. Of course this time of year when everything out is white, any green looks so inviting.
Wish I could get spinach to germinate.

Are you planting indoors or outdoors? Spinach is one of those crops that can be planted very early in Springtime. I plant some as soon as the snow is off and the ground dries enough to not be sticky. Usually early April here.

I think the biggest reason for small seeds not germinating well is the lack of moisture in the top inch of soil. Usually small seeds are planted very shallow, and the breeze dries the top inch of soil so the seed fails. This is a bigger problem if the weather has warmed up into the 80s. To combat the drying cover the row with news paper or a board to conserve the moisture and check daily for sprouts and remove the cover when you see sprouts.

Another reason for failure is the seed itself. Sometimes the germination rate of some batches of seed is poor. You can easily do a germination test of your seed. Put 10 seeds on a damp paper towel, fold it over and put it in a plastic zip loc bag and put it on top of the refrigerator. Check in 3 days.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, great suggestions. My seeds have been direct seeded into the garden. Rain over the next two days should be helpful, and 60 degree highs should speed germination I would think. Will post on progress in the next week or two.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”