new_gardener32
Newly Registered

Are certain beans easier to harvest I.e thresh, than others?

Are certain beans, including garbanzos and soy, easier to harvest and thresh than others? Does anyone have any good bean threshing techniques?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, beans that are usually meant to be harvested dry have thinner shells and thresh easier than green bean types.

Best to leave them on the plant until they are drying up pretty well. I then pick them and put them in a mesh bag, tie the bag and walk on them. Once threshed, you can pour them from the bag into a bucket with a breeze and the breeze will take most of the pods away. Pour from one bucket to another several times.

Of course if you want, you can always open each pod by hand and take out the beans.

imafan26
Mod

We eat soy bean fresh. We pick the pods when they are full but still green. The pods are washed and the ends picked off. Put them in a bowl with a little water so they will steam, cover; nuke them in the microwave. Drain. Add some garlic salt and serve. People will suck the beans out of the pods.

Dry beans like cow peas, I will wait until the pods are brown, they are easier to crack open that way. I strip them with my finger into a ziploc. However, I like Jal_ut's idea. I never thought of doing that for large seeds. I have winnowed small seeds for saving only.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Yes, beans that are usually meant to be harvested dry have thinner shells and thresh easier than green bean types.

Best to leave them on the plant until they are drying up pretty well. I then pick them and put them in a mesh bag, tie the bag and walk on them. Once threshed, you can pour them from the bag into a bucket with a breeze and the breeze will take most of the pods away. Pour from one bucket to another several times.

Of course if you want, you can always open each pod by hand and take out the beans.
YES that is what my grand parents tough me only one more thing. Place a tarp on the ground put bucket in the center of tarp. Wait for a windy day pour beans back and forth from one bucket to the other all the light weight stuff blows away. Any beans that miss the bucket land on the tarp.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”