Chuck
Newly Registered

when to trim squash plants

hi all
I have one zucchini and three yellow squash. We all know how large these plants can grow. When can I trim the leaves on these plants? They're really getting to the point of overtaking the garden!
Also, about topping tomato plants (I posted on the tomato section of the site, no responses), can I keep my tomato plants trimmed at the top? Any ideas about doing that?
Chuck in Los Angeles

canuck

Hello Chuck

As for your first question I really don't know--You asking it made me wonder though as I grow zucchini and spaghetti squash--I will be waiting for an answer from someone too.

For your question about tomatoes--I usually let my tomatoe plants get to about 4 1/2 to 5 feet high and then I just cut the tops right off. As well, if you already didn't know you can take off any leaves BELOW spots where tomatoes have formed. It sure doesn't make for a lush looking plant but the tomatoes will grow much bigger and ripen much faster because the plant isn't putting energy into growing the leaves.

Bye for now

lillgardnr

canuck wrote:Hello Chuck

As for your first question I really don't know--You asking it made me wonder though as I grow zucchini and spaghetti squash--I will be waiting for an answer from someone too.

For your question about tomatoes--I usually let my tomato plants get to about 4 1/2 to 5 feet high and then I just cut the tops right off. As well, if you already didn't know you can take off any leaves BELOW spots where tomatoes have formed. It sure doesn't make for a lush looking plant but the tomatoes will grow much bigger and ripen much faster because the plant isn't putting energy into growing the leaves.

Bye for now
what a great idea about the leaves. never knew that. think I might head to the garden right now... thanks

Inamon

lillgardnr wrote: what a great idea about the leaves. never knew that. think I might head to the garden right now... thanks
Referencing firefighter23 on the thread about cutting tomato branches below the fruit line, "Lets get serious, cutting of branches below the fruit line." topic under tomatoes, don't cut determinates below the fruit line as this is detrimental. I'm trying to get more opinion on this but none is forth coming so far.

lillgardnr

glad I got sidetracked...maybe ill read up on that area more before I run outside... :oops: :D

pixelphoto

I trim my lower leaves below the fruit line and it has never been detrimental to my plants they flourish nicely.
it also keeps from disease getting splashed up on lower leaves and then spreading to the rest of the plant. That is why I do it so I don't accidentally splash soil borne diseases up onto the bottom leaves and have it spread elsewhere.

I should say I also plant both types determinate and indeterminate and trim the bottoms off of both types and have never had any problems.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”