estorms

Strawberries

I live in a rural area of Northeastern PA. We have lots of animals. Deer, racoons, woodchucks, rabbits, skunks, possoms, snakes, cyotes, bobcats, bears, squirrils, and chipmunks. I am willing to live peacefully, but these guys aren't sharing. Last year, I covered my strawberries with netting and weighed it down with stones all around the edge. The first ones were just turning. Several days later, I checked again and every single strawberry was gone, even the green ones. This year, I will firmly anchor the netting. If it doesn't work, I will move them into a raised bed in the fall. I plan to build it with landscaping timbers four courses high. I will fill it up to three courses, plant my berries, and in the Spring I will staple the netting on with no way to get in. I have tried repellants, traps, and fencing, but so far, nothing works. I refuse to put out poison, but I will resort to shooting them as a last resort. The bobcats and cyotes are not eating enough of the smaller animals and I'm not brave enough to take on a bear. I don't want to get a dog or a cat. Any suggestions?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Electric fence? Radio? Motion detector hooked to a light and a radio?

I have found that a radio, tuned to the hard rock station, left on in the corn patch keeps the racoons and skunks out.
Last edited by jal_ut on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My server was acting up so the post got sent twice. I will just edit it out to say something different. :)

Here it is still darned cold. 7° this morning. I am ready for spring.

imafan26
Mod

I plant my strawberries in hanging baskets. I don't have bobcats, squirrels or skunks, just slugs snails and rats with wings (birds) to contend with. I keep the baskets on a stand in the sun at this time of the year. I already am seeing the first berries. When I start to see berries I hang the basket up and
when it starts to change color, I move it frequently and I still have to pick it before the birds do. I have cats inside who like to play with plants, but if you have a sunny window or sun room, you could bring the basket in until the berries ripen if you have enough light. I had strawberries in the ground before, the birds were easy to deflect since they prefer hot peppers anyway, but it was impossible to keep the slugs and snails out.

Jal Brrrrrrh! It is 67 degrees F. and the sun should be coming up soon.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I had strawberries both in rock thing, with strawberries in the top tier. And in raised beds (the excess plants). I kept the plantings alive for 3-4 years, and never got a single strawberry, I even covered the berries with chicken wire to protect them. The squirrels found a way in!

I have decided to give up on growing strawberries. The squirrels won!

imafan26
Mod

Well, I feel lucky I get a few.

The birds and snails especially know when it is just right. Now, I keep and eye on the tomatoes, figs, and I grow chili peppers that hang because it is harder for the birds to get those, I have to pick the figs as soon as they get soft, and the tomatoes at first blush.

Right now the birds are still after the tomatoes and I cleaned the bench to get rid of the slugs hiding there so I got a couple of berries.

prettygurl

I also think hanging baskets are the way to go.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”