Shinzy

Chemical-free way to keep cats out of garden?

Come the last of February, I'm going to be planting some corn outside in a nice little garden bed. The only problem is the cats- we have many of them and they're just going to look at the bed as a great big toilet.

I've read that many people put mothballs in jars with holes poked in them in their gardens, and that it repels the cats. I'm scared this will hurt the cats, and I'm not keen on using mothballs where they can possibly seep into the ground if knocked over.

I'm not sure if the pet repellant they sell at the stores is organic and safe, so I'm hesitant on that as well.

Do things like coffee grounds and ground black pepper really work at repelling cats? Is there anything else that seems to be a 'sure fire' method that is also cat/eco friendly?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

We've had many discussions about unwanted cat "calling cards" in the garden, but the most informative aren't available right now due to problems with Search. Here's one, though, with some ideas for you.

Other ideas are chicken wire in the paths (if you have a row garden), bird netting over the bed (if you have a raised bed-type garden), hardware cloth of coarse grade (I.e., 1/2 inch or so), motion-activated sprinklers, rose prunings.

If there's any way to ascertain whose cats are visiting your garden, try to approach said owners/cat servants and let them know what's going on.

Good luck!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

mothballs are poisonous to pets and small children - highly not recommended.

citrus smells often work as a chemical deterrent for cats.
another with reasonable success is "bitter apple"

the "mechanical means" include laying something flat (cat's don't like "unsure footing") or thorny branches - rose / blackberry / raspberry canes, locust trimmings....

every method has its drawbacks so you'll need to pick the least of the evils that works for you.

Royiah

Have you tried using hot sauce or pepper spray? I've used hot sauce on a few of my plants when my dogs were eating them and they learned their lesson. It may take a bit before they realize but it usually works for me.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A sprits from the garden hose may dismay your cat, but it won't wound anything but its dignity...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have 3 cats they are never a problem in my garden. Yes the cats think the garden is a great big cat box. You have to think like a cat to solve the problem. Cats poop where the soil is the easiest to dig a poop hole. If you dump a pile of child play sand some where the cats will all be pooping there. If you keep a spot in the garden tilled all the time the cats will poop there. If the cats have a choice they always poop where it is easiest to dig.

I plant my row 3 ft apart. The whole garden is tilled so cats can poop any place they like. I plant my rows and the cats never dig up the plants it is easier for them to poop where there are no plants. All summer I till between the rows only about 1" deep this killed all surface weeds and keeps soil soft for the cat poop box. My cats and neighbors cats are never a problem in the garden unless I plant onions.

Onions smell bad cats must think this is the designated poop spot. I have moved my onion patch around all over the yard cats continue to poop only in the onions. If you want cats to poop in a certain place plant onions there. Onions are a cat magnet. I put cement rebar in the onions about 3" apart this makes it hard for cats to dig so they dig other places.

Shinzy

Thank you to everyone who posted here, I have a lot of techniques to try now!

I'll keep tabs on how these different things work with the kitties. They are all my cats and I love them, I just don't want them bothering my veggies :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We have three outdoor cats. They never poop in my veggies. I think part of it is that the veggie beds are always deeply mulched, so there is no bare soil for them to get to. Part of it is that there is lots of wild areas on my property for them to use. Given a choice, cats prefer to have some cover while they are doing their business, which is kind of a vulnerable moment. So they will probably use shrubbery, tall grass, wilder areas in preference to veggie beds.

Keeping a bit of your property wild makes good habitat for lots of birds and wildlife.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

My OK Kitty thinks fresh turned dirt is hers to do as she pleases, which often displeases me. Last season when I added more space, mainly for basil (annual) knew she would be on it. I got some rolled fencing at Lowes (or HD). This is plastic, dk green, squares are about 1 1/2", is 18" wide (I am thinking). This is easy to cut, and I made strips to put down between plants. When I want to cultivate & freshen with whatever just move the pieces. I usually try to mulch the perennial flowers and she doesn't mess much with that. This could get costly for a large bed, but I am dealing with a few 4 x 4's.
Hope this helps.

Aida

I read somewhere that sprinkling grated/finely cut citrus rinds around your plants keeps critters away, but I've never tried it myself...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Shotgun!

mattie g
Green Thumb

Foolproof way to ensure that cats don't get in your garden...

Don't let your cats wander around outdoors. The local wildlife will thank you!

sepeters

Personally, I'm partial to the boot in the butt method.
If you're averse to practicing proctology on your kitty try planting some marigolds. Most animals do not like the smell and will avoid the area.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Marigolds eh? hmm

Its harder if you don't own the cats, so using a swift kick may not be appropriate. Sure would like to :D

Shotgun? LOL James !! :shock:

Cats love to be under row covers grrrr :evil:

They do not like bird netting cuz it gets stuck to their paws hehehehe

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I will say paint pellet. At least this way the owner will see that someone is serious and it could be lead the next time. :twisted:

Eric

rkunsaw

jal_ut wrote:Shotgun!
I was gonna suggest that but she said chemical free and I think gunpowder would be classed as a chemical. :lol:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

So often the cats are Feral. That is really the case here in this Rural setting. A mother cat has her kittens in some ones hay barn, the kittens are never touched by human hand, never fed, and hide and find food where they can. Problem is where there was six this year there will be 36 next year unless someone makes an effort to reduce the numbers. They have a couple of enemies, car tires and starvation. Its the hunger thing that gets them to eating plants.

We had one lone female feral cat wander in here and take refuge in a shed and then had a litter of kittens. I reduced the numbers to 3, then trapped the three in a live trap and took them in to the vet for shots and to be fixed. I now feed them and they don't reproduce, but I can't get close to them. Just the way I like cats. Not underfoot, yet they should keep the rodents at bay. They hang around because they were born here, and they find food here, yet they have no need to eat my garden because they are being fed. A kitty litter pan helps a lot in keeping them from digging around the garden.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You write: "The only problem is the cats- we have many of them".

Question: Are these cats yours? If the answer is no, the obvious answer is to get rid of the surplus. A live trap works well and is quieter than a shotgun. How you deal with the trapped animal is up to you. The best option seems to be toss the trap in the pond for a while, then bury the cat or send it with garbage collection.

Personally, when it comes to cats, I don't care if it is the neighbors cat, if it is causing me problems it is in dire danger. Around here there is no shortage of cats. They hang out in every barn. Mostly feral.

If the answer is Yes, then you have to still ask, do I need this many? If you do, then feed them and provide potty litter boxes and protect your plants. Good luck.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In my experience, "feral" cats that are fed regularly, soon become domesticated. We have cats that we know were born wild, that are just as tame as the house pets. Being domesticated is bred in to them at this point, though they still can survive in the wild if they need to.

We feed stray/feral cats. It never is more than 3 or 4, because they are territorial and will drive off newcomers that try to weasel their way in. If they are not spayed/ neutered when they come to us, then we get that done as soon as they are tame enough to take to the vet.

They make sure we don't have mice/ rats, etc on our property, which in our neighborhood, we surely would otherwise.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”