canuck

grass clippings

I can not compost where I am at so I was wondering if I could put my grass clippings right into the vegetable garden??? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question just haven't really found anything about it anywhere else--just about putting it onto a compost pile.

tiggs&oscar

Hi canuck :)

I don't see why not, it would act like a mulch and break down into the soil. I've also heard of lawn clippings being spread back over the lawn to break down but not with every mow.
Are you able to have even a small container somewhere that could compost your lawn clippings and kitchen waste?

TO

canuck

tiggs&oscar
I do leave the clippings on the lawn most of the time--its just the cuts when I have waited too long to mow and there are too many clippings to "hide" in the grass.

As for composting I didn't think that it was worth it to do a small bucket --would a 5 gallon pail do?? If so how much and what would I put in it?

Thankyou for your reply

tiggs&oscar

I'm no expert but I don't see why you can't compost in a small container. Your grass clippings need to be balanced with drier ingredients like shredded newspaper or even cardboard toilet rolls, throw in some (raw) veg waste but not citrus. As it is a small container fork it over once a week and wait for it to heat up.
I'd love to know how you get on with it.

:) TO

canuck

Thanks for the advice--I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Enjoy spring

tiggs&oscar

:) Canuck,

If you go into the organic section there are a few bits about compost there.

TO

pixelphoto

I actually put table scraps in a 5 gallon bucket and then when its full I take it to my compost pile and mix it in. It will work fine. A small trashcan is a small investment as well and works in a fix where large compost piles are not allowed.

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Hello Canuck,
Yes, of course you can put grass clippings in your garden, assuming you have not put any weed killing agent on your lawn. That would really mess with your veggies. Also, be sure if the grass got to tall for you that it did not make seed. You could end up with more grass than you bargained for. Have fun, the more organic material you put in your garden, the better it gets. Gardener Don

canuck

thankyou to everyone who replied--this website is a great place with great people

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”