LLandry11

Any tips to deter the potato beetle?

Last year, we dealt with a potato beetle infestation.
We had 270 potato plants and walked through daily to remove any eggs or beetles.
As you can imagine, it was quite time consuming, but we do not want to use chemicals so we didn't know of any other way.
In preparing for this year's garden, I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent another infestation?
Are there any organic methods? Maybe something I can plant amongst my potatoes that would help? I'm open to any suggestions...

applestar
Mod

I don't know what might repel them, but maybe trap crops?

-- in my garden where I have trouble growing eggplants (not enough heat?) the less than robust eggplants always draws the potato beetles more so than the healthy potato plants.

I always have a few jimson weed/datura volunteers, and when allowed to grow, they seem to attract the beetles away from the potato plants.

Although Bt used against caterpillars is more often talked about, there is also a Bt strain that infects beetles. I don't know what other beetles in addition to potato beetles the bacteria infects though.

I have heard, though never tried, that blending captured beetles with water and straining to make "beetle juice" spray will repel them.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm open to any suggestions...
Have you thought about floating row covers.
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/cate ... Qgode1MAnA

It's lightweight and will lift as the the plants grow. You may even extend your growing season.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a nice little article on organic control of potato beetles:

https://www.organicgardening.com/learn-a ... le-control

In general, not just for potato beetles, I have found that organic gardening works better if, for example, instead of one big potato patch with 270 plants, you divide it up in to at least four (or as scattered as you can) small potato patches, in different areas of the garden, with herbs and other plants mixed in. The article suggests coriander, dill, sweet alyssum, fennel, and cosmos, but onions and garlic are always good.

Here's from a companion planting article:

Beans, cabbage, corn, and horseradish all help potatoes grow better and improve the flavor of your potatoes when grown together.

Tansy, nasturtium, coriander, and catnip planted nearby repel Colorado potato beetle.

Interplant potatoes with lettuce, scallions, radishes, and spinach. All of these crops mature fast and will be harvested long before the potatoes are ready to harvest.
https://organicgardening.about.com/od/ve ... anions.htm

Your giant potato patch is a beacon to every potato pest in the county. Small patches mixed in with a bunch of other stuff, a lot less so.

LLandry11

Thanks so much for your replies.
I've been researching all of your suggestions, and will definitely be implementing some changes to this year's garden plan.
My first mistake last year was planting my potatoes in the same spot, so THEY WILL BE MOVED THIS YEAR!
Applestar -- I found several articles mentioning they'd prefer eggplant, so it looks like I'll be planting some eggplants this year!
Doubledogfarmer -- I don't think floating row covers would work with my setup, but thanks for the idea.
Rainbowgardener -- Thanks for the articles. I do believe in companion planting and incorporated the concept throughout the garden last year -- except for the potato & pumpkin patches. And I haven't planted any herbs yet.
So it looks like this year, the plan will be to continue with companion planting, divide into smaller patches and add a bunch of herbs in with my vegetables.
Thanks guys!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's another companion planting guide:

https://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/a ... df/49e.pdf

Somewhere I once found a study, that I've never been able to find again that said even one clover plant, planted next to cabbage reduced visits of cabbage moth, compared to nearby similar patch of mono-culture cabbage.

LLandry11

Awesome! Thanks again! :D

estorms

I bought a tray of "Little Fingers" eggplants at a sale for one dollar. The tray had a very small hole for each plant. (less than a teaspoon) I put them in a row in my garden. I have very poor soil and a lot of shade. I pulled out every other one three times. I had so many eggplants I couldn't give them away. You may want to try that variety. There is nothing little about them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”