PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Growing Comfrey

Hi,

So recently I got a hold of two Comfrey (bocking 14) plants. I planted one in the ground near my compost bin and the second I have in a pot waiting to decide where to plant. Not sure if I planted them correctly. I buried almost everything and left a little bit of "stem" sticking out. Was I supposed to bury everything? I read somewhere that planting comfrey below the canopy of a tree was ideal. Would that be a spot you'd grow comfrey in? I have such a spot but the tree is rather small and I worry that it would compete against the tree.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

imafan26
Mod

Comfrey is pretty hard to kill, but it likes to have room, so try not to keep it in a pot for long. It mineralizes calcium from the soil so it likes alkaline conditions. Once it is in the ground it is hard to dig up any piece of root left will keep sprouting, so pick a permanent spot. I grow it in full sun in zone 11, so it does not need shade. 8)

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

Because everybody stresses how difficult comfrey is to kill, my rubric for planting has been largely based on keeping it where I'm unlikely to ever want to plant anything else. I've got a nice little bed that ranges along a stone wall, and over the winter I've been cutting trees off a rocky hillside where I may put some comfrey in the spring. By what I've observed from my own comfrey, I'm sure your planting method will work out fine.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”