TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

So much for my signature line . . .

It was good while it lasted:

This is the first time I've seen frost in my neighborhood in 42 years!!

I'm sure it's occurred more than once, but I've never actually seen it until now.

And I even thinking about tomatoes already.

Frost free since this morning . . . .

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

How nice. An organic bug killer.
Hey, so much for the global warming theory too?

This morning it is minus 7 F in my garden. No bugs flying for sure.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Big swings in weather fit the climate change model as weather becomes unstable.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Ditto!
I had 35F this morning and last week, glad I covered the strawberries. Hopefully the lower temps will zap all them unwanted critters for this year !

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yep I have been watching the weather the last couple days. There has been some unprecedented weather. Lots of areas getting frost warnings, we had a frost watch or advisory. Temps got down to 36F I think. I can tell it has been much colder because I can see my peppers foliage dying a little bit, mostly the ones in pots. Everything in the ground is unaffected.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

My mom told me that back in 1971 or so it snowed here. I also remember back in 2005 or 2006 it snowed in some part of LA. Not hard freezes but light snow. And about 2-3 years ago it snowed very briefly in Burbank California. I was actually driving when it happened and so many people were shocked. People were stopping their cars and taking pics. I took a few pics on a cell phone but was unable to recover those pics.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I grew up in SoCal, went to college in Claremont, Calif. I remember one time (this would have been like 1966 or 1967, I'm really old :) ) someone went running through the girls dorm at 3 in the morning, yelling "it's snowing, it's snowing." We all ran out to watch a few flakes swirling around, that never actually hit the ground.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

The weather is all out of whack in my neck of the woods as well. Spring temps since early December. I already have moth damage on my "winter" crops. We have the most stubborn High pressure area that has pretty much superglued itself just to the SE of me. Thankfully we're set to have a big cold front to finally come through in the next couple of days and bring us fresh, cool, dry air and seasonal temps for this time of year.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:We all ran out to watch a few flakes swirling around, that never actually hit the ground.
You forgot the "in our short nightgowns" part!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I could do with one or two nights of 30 to 31 deg (F) weather (0 to -1 deg C). It rarely freezes in the East Bay, but believe me: when it does, the next spring's **flea** season is much less intense. With black long-haired dogs and multiple cats, this is a Big Thing for me personally.

My plants in the ground right now are cold-hardy veggies; my cymbidiums are hardy to 28 deg F. Yep, they've been tested. I even had them out one year when it went down to 23 or so, but they were under the carport roof. Lost some major jade-plant trunks that year, though, but not entire plants. *whew*

It could still happen; we've occasionally had February freezes, but usually when they've happened, they've been in late December or sometime in January. sigh...

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”