Tonio
Green Thumb

Walmart-Burpee's Organics Front and Center

Went to Wally world today (ugh). Front end Center is a Display of Burpees Organics- seeds upon the entrance?? Kinda early no? I usually see seeds displayed abut late Feb, early Mar.
Actually the outside (Garden center Entrance) had tomatoes and basil starts......

I have my own warm weather plant seeds(tom's etc), but did pick up a few seed packets-though I don't particularly like Burpees( not spectacular germination rates). Each packet has a BONUS of Organic Aton Basil seeds.

Funny thing is, we are supposed to get record lows since '07, this weekend. We may reach the freeze mark, and already had some frost in parts of town.
OK I don't think its funny now. Poor seedlings may not make it at Wally world.

I cleaned up the debris around the yard/garden, and covered up the strawberries. My main beds are already under row covers, so should be good .

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I have been getting frost here for a couple weeks at night. And you need to start seeds now here. it is not to early.

beccababble
Newly Registered

Tonio wrote:Went to Wally world today (ugh). Front end Center is a Display of Burpees Organics- seeds upon the entrance?? Kinda early no? I usually see seeds displayed abut late Feb, early Mar.
Actually the outside (Garden center Entrance) had tomatoes and basil starts......

I have my own warm weather plant seeds(tom's etc), but did pick up a few seed packets-though I don't particularly like Burpees( not spectacular germination rates). Each packet has a BONUS of Organic Aton Basil seeds.

Funny thing is, we are supposed to get record lows since '07, this weekend. We may reach the freeze mark, and already had some frost in parts of town.
OK I don't think its funny now. Poor seedlings may not make it at Wally world.

I cleaned up the debris around the yard/garden, and covered up the strawberries. My main beds are already under row covers, so should be good .
I think it's because they got the stuff in from their DC and they're putting it out because they have it. Some people will actually buy it now, too. We had so many dead poinsettias at my store when we got ours in because they were dry and not kept up. Some of the cashiers actually took the time to water the poor plants and pull out the dead parts.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Seeds are out in Pa,s Wal Mart also. I bought them las week! I even ordered seeds 2 months ago from seed company. I started some seeds 3 weeks ago. The 5 degree weather here has dropped my solar greenhouse down to 31 but has not hurt the plants yet! if I can survive two days of below 5 degree temp Ithink I will get through till spring now! Big warm up tomorrow 10 degrees at night!

prettygurl

I have good luck with Burpee seeds. They could keep up the displays all year as far as I am concerned. I am trying to garden year round.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

prettygurl wrote:I have good luck with Burpee seeds. They could keep up the displays all year as far as I am concerned. I am trying to garden year round.
yeah, in late summer when I want to be planting fall crops, it seems like there is not a seed to be had anywhere. That's one reason I went ahead and did a bulk order of seeds this year, so I'm sure to have fall seeds as well as spring ones.

Good luck with the year round gardening in your short season! :)

veggiedan
Cool Member

Seems sensible to me.

I have two dozen small pots starting various things that will get put outside in March (I'm in 8b). So many of these seeds will be put to good use right now by people who want to do the same thing. But I'm not sure what your problem is. Are you concerned abut Walmart taking up their valuable shelf space? Are you concerned that people will be misled into planting things outside too early? If the latter is the case, then gee, Walmart should keep these under cover until, well, maybe May or June, because even in 8b there are lots of things I would never plant outside until then.

Most responsible garden centers have seed out and on display for this season. They know. Good for Walmart for keeping our options open.

applestar
Mod

Please keep discussion on topic. :wink:
OT discussions about Walmart and other big box stores have been moved here
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... hp?t=50671

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”