bcallaha
Cool Member

Need your experience -- can you use old seeds? How to store?

Each year, I have some seeds left over. Each year, I discard those seeds and buy fresh seeds. I've seen posts from others that you can use those left over seeds, but I've always been afraid to. I don't want to have a failed season because of using left over seeds.

Do you use the left over seeds? What's been your experience on how they sprouted and grew?

Thanks
Brad

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

if you store them in the classic "cool and dry" environment they'll more than likely do quite fine from year one to year two.

there are a few vegetables where fresh seed is best - onions is one that comes to mind.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

depends on the seed. some are well-known to be relatively short-lived, like parsnip...some last much better.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The viability of seed varies with variety and storage conditions. It is easy to test the germination. Dampen a paper towel and put ten seeds on it and roll it up then put it in a plastic bag and set it on top of the fridg. In 3 days look to see if they have germinated. Large seed like corn and beans should be soaked over night in a glass of water then put in the wrap.

I have used seed that was 5 years old. Each year you will get a lower percentage of germination, but some seeds will remain viable for many years.

The price of seed what it is, I suggest using your last years seed. Most of it will do well for you. When it gets 3 to 5 years old it will be going downhill in germination rate, but some would likely still grow.

More Information

Harvester of sorrow

Mine are kept in small ziplock bags,which are then placed inside a 1 gallon ziplock bag and placed in the veggie drawer at the bottom of my fridge. Last year I found a pack of lima bean seeds that were packed for use in 2002-(10 years ago) and I had 80% germination rate. You can put either a little rice or a pack of silica gel in there to help control moisture.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The rice or silica gel would be important, otherwise store in paper envelopes. Moisture is the death of seeds. Stored cool to cold and dry, they last for a long time. I always save my left over seeds and have used seeds four or five years old. At that point germination may be reduced a bit, but there are no other problems and you still should get plenty of plants.

This year I bought seeds in bulk, because they are cheaper that way, figuring on using them over three seasons.

SOB
Green Thumb

I have Roma seeds from when I first started growing my own tomatoes from seed (this will be the 6th season). I always start more than what I know I need in case some fail but they all typically come up. I have many seed packs that I have used for 3-4 years now with no real problems (I.e. total crop loss). These range from cuckes, eggplant, beans - a wide variety.

I keep my seed packets in a ziplock bag in the deep freezer that runs about 0-5 degrees F.

If using "old" seeds I would suggest starting/planting more than you want to grow and thinning to what you desire.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I store my seeds always in paper envelops or sacks. I keep them in the basement where there is a pretty constant temperature of around 68-70 degrees. I just have most of them in a cardboard box in their paper envelops. Here the humidity is on the dry side, so I don't have to worry about them getting too damp. They seem to keep good doing this and like I mentioned, I have used some 5 or more years old.

Carrot seed: I usually l buy a fair amount and plant it with my garden drill. I seldom plant it all, so next season I will always mix the old seed with the new. If the old seed does not germinate as well as the new, no problem as the seeder plants too thick any way and this acts to thin it a bit.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:The seeds will germinate or not, and you can tell if you need to order fresh, or use up the current supply.
Are they all the same once they've germinated? e.g. does age affect only the germination rate?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the seed either germinates or it doesn't. If it does then there is no difference in the plants. It doesn't make "weak" plants or anything. Only change would be in germination rate.

Aida

A few days ago I planted some sunflower seeds that I purchased more than a year ago, and they are sprouting. However, the bag was never opened...

bcallaha
Cool Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try to germinate a few seeds and see what results I get.

Brad

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

yeah man just plant those suckers. It won't ruin your season if they don't sprout, just put you a week or so behind. Not a big deal.

Don't overly pay attention to common rates of germination for certain seeds yadda yadda. It has too much to do with the quality of the seed and variable conditions where they were kept. "lettuce seeds only last a year" I was told. Then my mom busted out with some that were about 10 years old, planted them, and BAM! no germination problem. I can't testify as to a germination percentage, but from the # of plants I saw and knowing she only used 2 packs, I'd say it as adequate. Have fun and good luck!

sepeters

I agree with everyone! I planted some cherry tomatoes seeds that were at least 3 years old for my spring crop last year. I used the paper towel method bc I was also unsure if they were viable. They had a very high germination rate (nearly 90%) and they were actually the only tomatoes that bore fruit for me all year! I have had low germination rates with older seeds that are more delicate or prone to breakage, like carrots and beets. Back in college a saved a marijuana seed (for nostalgic purposes, it was in my scrap book)from a sought after kind and recently gave the single 8 year old seed to a friend who asked for it after getting his medical card. I laughed when he asked cuz I thought there was no way it'd grow, but he said it did, so I guess you never know!

veggiedan
Cool Member

Botanical professionals store their seeds in the fridge. They last many years that way. Keep them in their seed packet (dry seeds only!!), so you know what's what, write the date on the seed packet, put it in a plastic ziploc bag, and stuff it in the back of the fridge. The colder the better. I know some people freeze them with success, but I've never tried that.

Since I've started storing seeds this way, I only buy seeds every few years for things that I just need a few seeds for each year (herbs, etc.)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”