QuakerBits
Newly Registered

Help with kale(newbie)

Hey guys(: I am planting Dino Kale and Vates.

I am a complete newbie in gardening, and although I searched and searched, and I can't seem to figure anything out for the next step(or maybe I'm just not searching right). I think the main problem is I didn't search enough before I planted them!

I've planted these seeds as you can see, 3 per square. Using organic soil, RO water, seeds are also organic. They sprouted in less than 2 days(most). I already feel the problem is not enough sun, and I possibly should have thinned these out earlier.

So I'm not sure what to do here? I just started to transplant some into that clear container(not sure if it needs holes on the bottom to drain water?), but I stopped and felt the need to ask someone. But compared to the videos I've seen.. I feel like I'm making a mistake or something. They've been growing for about.. 2-ish weeks now... maybe 3.

Sorry if any failure is a result of my lack of research!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A warm welcome.

Here is "Seed starting basics for newbies". Have a look.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... hp?t=44183

You may have to start over with better lighting.

Eric

Tonio
Green Thumb

Definately needs MORE LIGHT :D

Welcome & Good luck !!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tonio,

I was trying to be gentle. kapeesh

Eric

Tonio
Green Thumb

Si Senior :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the Forum. Glad you found us. Yes, your little seedlings are very thin and stretched from reaching to try to find light. As Eric suggested, read the thread about seed starting and then come back and ask questions as needed.

applestar
Mod

Since this is kale we're talking about, I'd also like to ask where the OP is located. Unless currently in subfreezing season or super hot season, kale could easily be sown directly outside.

QuakerBits
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the reply's everyone. As according to my location I am in Charlotte, NC. Today it was in the 70's..... although it seems it'll drop to the 50's and maybe 40's over next few gloomy days.

Anyways, that link is very helpful, thankyou. Don't really have questions regarding anything from it at the moment, although the only lingering question is what should I do with the seedlings now? Like the first comment, I'm guessing it might already be too late!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you want to try to save them, they need more light immediately, but direct sun may be too much since they have not had enough.

You will also need to transplant them and bury all except the green leaves. Even then it may be nip and tuck. They may not survive, but you can try it and see.

Kale and all of the cabbage family are pretty cold hardy. I just plant them outdoors from seed directly where they will grow very early in the spring. Works for me.

About starting seedlings, a 4 foot shop light hung just a few inches above the trays gives the little seedlings some good light. You can leave it on 24/7.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”