a white rabbit

..wahhh, damn 'taties won't chit..

..hello everyone, nice place you've got here..

..so, to business, I'm English but living now on Southern Mindanao, Philippines, I'm a farmer with 25 plough-pushing years behind me in Limousin France, mostly animals but now I'm starting an organic market garden here at 6N 124E, both for the income and as teaching site for my Taga'k'olo neighbours, poverty really p*sses me off..

..lot's of interesting new plants to grow, like bitter gourd, patola, pole sitao and Indian spinach, and the old favourites, toms/cukes/peppers/eggplant etc and after a few early errors, we're all getting on fine....except...

..except for the potatoes..

..these are bought in the local market, brand unknown, tho I've some ideas, all chosen as good seed-tatie size, but I can't get the damn things to grow, or even chit. Planted direct a few sent up growth then died, the rest are still as good as the day I planted them..

..ok, so they're dosed in anti-germination chemicals ? If so how do I combat this. Genuine seed potatoes are a non-starter so far, as in no sources..

..or is it temp/sunlight/ what ?

..please help, this is a real embaressment..

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi white rabbit :D

Check this site; https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0204/chitting_potatoes.asp

Hopefully there will be some info in there that will help and good luck with your new venture.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi White Rabbit -

I have experience with almost all the other plants... Except potatoes! I've never grown any (I should, I eat them after all). Hopefully someone else, like Jess here who already replied, will be able to help ya.

P.S. I love your quirky attitude, but you may want to tone down a leetle in case some folks don't appreciate it so much. ;)

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Hello White Rabbit,
I would bet you have "seed" potatos that had been dosed with anti-germination. Can you not order seed potato from a source? Good Luck in your relocation and vegetable garden. Gardener Don

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Hello White Rabbit,
I would bet you have "seed" potatos that had been dosed with anti-germination. Can you not order seed potato from a source? Good Luck in your relocation and vegetable garden. Gardener Don

lillgardnr

Grey wrote:Hi White Rabbit -

I have experience with almost all the other plants... Except potatoes! I've never grown any (I should, I eat them after all). Hopefully someone else, like Jess here who already replied, will be able to help ya.

P.S. I love your quirky attitude, but you may want to tone down a leetle in case some folks don't appreciate it so much. ;)
you made me laugh....I really enjoyed reading this and would love to read more on the progress of your potatoes... good luck to you :wink: :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”