PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Has anyone grown Quinoa or Chia before?

Hi,

Has anyone grown chia or quinoa before. I eat both pretty often and was curious and looked at some plants on google images. Quinoa gets pretty huge, and harvesting seems like it can be a pain in the butt, and I bet it reseeds like crazy. I found this cool article:

https://gardenerd.com/growing-quinoa-a-complete-protein/

Despite all this, I might consider giving it a try. Chia doesn't seem to get as big but probably is a hassle to harvest and reseeds crazy too.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I have never grown it and only eaten it once from a friend but I am interested to see how it goes. Keep us updated.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

If I do consider it, it won't be until 2014. All my available ground and pots are used up.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Quinoa's a weed, so be wary. If you can grow spinach, though, you can grow it, and quite successfully. It's a taller crop but takes up relatively little by way of ground space.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

quinoa tend to have the bad habit of sprouting while still on the plant if it gets rained on too close to harvest.

chia's a drylands salvia, right? should be possible where you are. make sure it gets good drainage.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”