imafan26
Mod

A different way to water deeply

I was looking on the web to see how I could water my garden more efficiently and I found this article on using 18" lengths of drain pipe to water tomatoes. I think it has wider adaptability for use with other crops. It makes great sense too. Incorporating lots of organic matter and watering deeply at the root level should entice the plant roots to go deep which will improve drought tolerance and less surface water being lost to evaporation, as well as hopefully less fungal disease since watering will be in the pipes. I love it!
https://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2008 ... -tomatoes/ :P

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

for crops that like deep even watering, I save 2 liter bottles & caps.

poke / melt a hole in the cap, cut off the bottom, fill with water and let the water drip out out the bottom.

a heavy mulch does wonders for keeping the soil moist.

specifically to tomatoes, some folk dislike leggy tomato plants. I'm fond of leggy plants - because I dig a trench, lay the leggy bit horizontal. the plant will send out roots all along the leggy buried bit and they wind up with a lot bigger root system to support the fruiting.

works also with most of the brassica family - but not the the same extent.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's an article about Dilbert's watering method.

https://www.veggiegardener.com/watering- ... od-bottle/

I do the same thing but upside down. Just make a few pin pricks in the bottom of the 2 liter bottle. Bury most of the bottle with the cap end sticking out. Use that to fill the bottle. You can keep the cap on the rest of the time to keep dirt from getting in your irrigator. You can fill the bottom third of the bottle with sand if you want, to help slow the water down from flowing out of the bottle.

imafan26
Mod

Great idea! I remember in Gardener Supply mag that they sold spikes that could be attached to bottles and stuck in the ground, but this is a lot easier. I like the idea of using the bottle the other way to keep debris out too. I'm surprised that less than 2 liters of water can keep tomatoes watered for a couple of days. I water mine every other day with a lot more than 2 liters of water. I should mulch more. I have a mean slug problem so I don't mulch much. The slugs like to hide under the plants and the mulch, even in the pots if they don't have screens in the drain holes so I like to keep the bottom of my plants bare. I go out every morning I can with a ziploc and chopsticks and I get anywhere from 7 to 21 slugs and snails every time. The other thing is that I don't have enough leaves from my yard. I can get free mulch from tree trimmers. I don't usually get that because the piles are notorious for having centipedes in them. I got some free city mulch and brought it to my other house and ended up with centipedes in that house. I don't have any centipedes or toads in my yard now, and I don't want to import them so what else can I use for mulch that will be clean? Can I use plastic? I have all these garden amendment bags which I keep because they are tougher for bagging weeds. I can also plant using weed block or plastic mulch. I would have to go to the other side of the island, but I could get a bale of hay. I have used fir bark, the roaches like to live in that, but I have roaches, ants and geckos everywhere so it would not matter.

Aida

Hey imafan, I don't know about the mulch, but for the slugs and snails, have you tried lining the outside of your patch with a sandpaper border? They hate crawling on that, and it keeps them mostly out.

Other than that, instead of running out there with chopsticks, try leaving a board of wood or plastic standing at an angle somewhere between your plants. They'll stick to the bottom of it to get away from the sun once it gets warm, and then you can release them far away. Just don't squish them- the yummy remains just attract more.

imafan26
Mod

I haven't tried sandpaper yet. It wouldn't hurt to try it. Thanks.
I use the ziploc bag because I used to just toss them into the garbage can but they crawled out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”